Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mouses,mice or meece ? On vista

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Mouses,mice or meece ? On vista

Hello.I wonder if anyone can help me?
I was using a 4 button/2 scroll wheel mouse on my laptop, for gaming. I dropped the darn thing and now it doesn't work.  I have tried fitting a 2 button mouse but though it says the device is working correctly it is not responding. 
When checking out the mouse settings on control panel. I find that you don't have all the options for mouse types that you used to get with xp. I have updated drivers. And for some reason it use 'symantics pointing devices' rather than a Microsoft system. Is this normal for Vista or just a bolt on from the laptop manufacturer?
Second question, .... plural of computer mouse is ....  mice,mouses or meece?  Smiley
12 REPLIES 12
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Mouses,mice or meece ? On vista

Synaptics will be your touchpad on the laptop, it sounds like it hasn't detected the mouse you've plugged in for some reason. I suspect therefore it's a PS/2 mouse (little round plug, possibly pastel green in colour) - if that's the case you need to have this plugged in when you power the laptop up as otherwise it won't be detected. If it's a USB mouse then things could get more complicated.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Oh, also - mices, obviously. Cheesy
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

No is usb. I get the message about loading drivers. Then OS ready to use, bit no response. Cursor just sits there. The laser is on tho. Most odd  Sad
I like meeces as Tom did I'm Tom and jerry Grin
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Plural is rodents.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: rogadodge

Wrong cartoon cat (and wrong sentiment) I think.  It was Hanna-Barbera's Mr Jinks who frequently declared "I hate meeces to pieces".  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pixie_and_Dixie_and_Mr._Jinks
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Not sure about that one - I was initially confused by the line in the muppet's christmas carol that states 'no cheeses for us meeces' but a bit of googling found:
-PFR4
barky
Grafter

Quote from: rogadodge
No is usb. I get the message about loading drivers. Then OS ready to use, bit no response. Cursor just sits there. The laser is on tho. Most odd  Sad
probably delete the mouse driver... USB HID device .... reboot then put mouse in USB port & all should work after a short auto setup period
where's device manager on vista again ...  someone?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Click on Start and then Control Panel.
Click on the System and Maintenance link.
Note: If you're viewing the Classic View of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply double-click on the Device Manager icon and then proceed to Step 4.
In the System and Maintenance window, click on the Device Manager link near the bottom of the window.
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

thanks all. have found another 4 button/ scroll wheel mouse. So plug'n'play  Smiley Smiley
needed the buttons for gaming. WoW. sad I know, but hey we all got to have a vice.
Found this problem particularly annoying as I managed to switch off the touchpad many months ago and am unable to switch that back on. I must stop fiddling, but kept putting thumb on touchpad when playing game and thought my machine was haunted when the character ran off on his own.
I have reloaded drivers for touchpad but still won't work. Though if it would i would just switch it off again. Wink
The mouse/meeces debate, I am sure you are right Reedrichards. And Rodents is genus surely?
I know the plural for a banker is ....a wunch of bankers    Grin Grin Grin
garlic
Dabbler

Does your computer have a hot-key combination to enable/disable the touchpad?
On my Acer it's Fn + F7
Very useful to stop the cursor jumping about when you accidentally brush the touchpad whilst typing something.
Would probably mention it in your manual if it has.
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Garlic, i could kiss you !! Kiss
Spot on. All sorted. many thanks mate.
garlic
Dabbler

Fresh!!!  Embarrassed
Glad it worked though.  Smiley