Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mouse with a laptop

deekay
Grafter

Mouse with a laptop

A very basic question, please.
I have a desktop computer, and my wife has a laptop which she bought several months ago.
She will be the first to admit that she is not in the least computer minded! She can email, browse, and play mahjongg. That's about all. I have to sort things on it and virus scan, etc.
I hate having to use the built-in laptop mouse, where you have to stroke it to make the mouse move - never where I want it to move to, though.  Embarrassed  In fact I touch her computer as little as possible because of this.
My question is, can I plug my USB desktop mouse into the laptop, do what I have to do, and when I unplug my mouse, it automatically reverts to the built-in one - which she prefers?
Tried Googling, but can't find an answer.
Many thanks and sorry it's such a basic question.
Keith
6 REPLIES 6
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Mouse with a laptop

When you plug in the USB mouse it will be recognised and work in tandem with the laptop trackpad ie both will be active.  Unplugging the mouse will still leave the trackpad working.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

I have same type problem with my wife`s laptop.... she uses the track pad.... I can`t use the damn thing.... so I plug in my mouse, whenever I need to sort out her problems !... the first time you plug it in, it will load up the relevant driver, and give you a nofification that it has done so, and that  "Your device is now ready to use".... after that there should be no problem in plugging in and unplugging time after time....
Enjoy your mouse !...
deekay
Grafter

Thanks both for your replies.
I didn't want to "just try it and see what happens", in case I messed her computer up. She wouldn't have been too pleased!

When this desktop packs up, there are two things I will buy. A 'proper mouse' and a '17" laptop!
Cheers
Keith
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Good for you... and good for her ! !    Grin
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Yes you can plug in multiple mice if you want - it's fun when someone is trying to use the computer and you move the mouse everytime they try to do something  Wink
Likewise you can have multiple keyboards plugged in too. I cyurrently have two keyboards active now - a usb one that i battered the other week in frustration (thus breaking the space bar) and a wireless usb one which I'm now using as the other one is a bit shot.
Key thing to remember with computers is that everything is software driven. You don't need to worry about the electronics and signals too much (just don't pour water over it) as everything is done via the software. If windows isn't happy about a device it will just disable it - the system won't blow itself to bits
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
deekay
Grafter

Thanks for the extra information regarding multiple mice and keyboards.
Cheers
Keith