Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mouse scroll

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Mouse scroll

For my laptop I use a Logitec Laser VX Nano cordless mouse (I have never been able to get on well with touch-pads) Just recently -and I suspect since the last Firefox update- the wheel scroll has become very erratic -seemingly bouncing up and down when used in either direction- scrolling works normally using the window edge scroll buttons or dragging the bar.
The batteries have only just been replaced in the mouse. In all other respects and applications the mouse works normally, only in Firefox do I have this problem, Thunderbird also wheel scrolls normally.
Any ideas please?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
6 REPLIES 6
alanb
Grafter

Re: Mouse scroll

Might be worth checking you have a pukka Logitech mouse driver installed. Also might be worth trying installing the latest one. Logitech meece have their own unique communications protocol when talking to a PC, which may not be so well supported by none-Logitech drivers. It may be that there has always been a latent problem on your PC that has only been highlighted by recent the Firefox upgrade.
petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Mmm!! thanks alamb, however we have 3 PC's here all running Win 7 (home premium) all have Firefox, 2 have the same type Logitech VX Nano mice. Only mine is displaying this problem. The mouse in question has been in use for a couple of years, but only recently started showing this problem. The Logitech drivers are installed and up-to-date for Win 7.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
alanb
Grafter

If you haven't already done so, search support sites for Logitech and Firefox. If this problem has been seen before, they may have the answer, or at least tell you that someone is looking for a solution.
Superficially it seems like a Firefox problem, but it need not be. Possibly it won't be if the other PCs are set up the same way. It could be a combination of more than one problem affecting the new version of Firefox and another longstanding problem on the PC that has only become manifest due to the Firefox upgrade. If that is the case, it could be difficult to diagnose.  Although you have several PCs that are nominally the same software configuration, there will still be differences in the way they behave that could explain why a Firefox problem could exist on all of them but is only manifested on one. That is even more true if the are all different hardware types.
In the simplest terms, you either have a problem with Firefox, or the mouse, or the PC. Or some combination of these. You'll need to try try to isolate the problem to one of them. I'd start with the mouse if I were you. Swap it with one of the other PCs and try it out for a couple of days. If the problem moves with the mouse then you may have a dud mouse or related component. If the mouse uses a receiver with a USB connector, try it in a different USB socket too. Also try using the PC in a different location in case the mouse transmissions are being subjected to interference. It might be more sensitive to interference than the others and that could cause problems for the mouse driver or Windows 7 that only shows up in Firefox due to some quirk in the new version.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just a thought, but in the 'advanced' section of the options (in firefox) have you tried turning smooth scrolling off (or on, if it's off at the moment)? That can sometimes help.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

could it need an internal clean?  may be you have some dust and fluff around the scroll spindle, and it is interfering with the optical  sensors.... unscrew it an give it a good blow out, (dust with a soft brush) and then try it !
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Holding down the scroll button and moving the mouse will give you a high-speed scroll.
Using the scroll wheel just gives a medium speed scroll.
(At least on my USB wired mouse).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."