cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mouse button issue

Mav
Fixes: 515

Mouse button issue

Over the last couple of days the mouse left button has started to act occasionally as if it's been double-clicked rather than a single click. I other words a simple click on a title bar causes the window to open to full size or a single click on a file opens it. I have checked all relevant options in Control Panel and Explorer and they are as they should be and always have been (even the Logitech settings).
To be honest I'm pretty sure it's not a software issue as it doesn't always happen, but often after one or two attempts it will work properly but sometimes it takes a little longer and is becoming frustrating.
It's a wireless optical mouse and a few years old and has given good service. The battery in new. Is there anything I can do to help it live a little longer or should I confine it to the mouse graveyard?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Mouse button issue

You could try increasing the time needed for a double click - i.e. too quick a double click then doesn't work.
However it does sound like a hardware fault
Mav

I've sort of become attached to it over the years so will be sorry to let it go Wink
I have one of these for use with the laptop am thing of the M235 as a replacement.
I like the smaller mice. Does anyone have any further suggestions baring in mind I only require the two buttons and scroll wheel, optical and wireless?

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

I have just changed keyboard and mouse from Logitech to Cherry, the mouse is great quality, feels great in the hand, the best mouse i have used, you can change dpi, scroll left and right with wheel, you get a rechargeable battery, and can charge by USB when needed  (cheaper to buy keyboard and mouse, mouse on its own is £26 at Amazon)

http://www.7dayshop.com/cherry-zf-5000-wireless-desktop-keyboard-and-laser-mouse?backUrl=L2NhdGFsb2d...
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

picbits
Rising Star

If its a 3 button mouse, open it up and see if you can unsolder the middle button and swap it with the left.
Mav

@ I.T.Works Thanks for the link. I do like the look of the mouse. I don't actually want the keyboard as I require one with Russian lettering as well but, currently at less than 20 squid for both, I may just get it and keep the keyboard as a spare for emergencies.
@picbits Years since I have done any soldering and my hands are not as steady as they once were so don't think it's worth the effort for me.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I have a Trust bluetooth mouse (3 button + wheel) for use with my laptop, small but good for portable use.
You can get then off ebay for about a tenner,
For the main pc I use a 7 button wireless one.
You could try removing the cover and see if there is any fluff or debris on the left button before you get another. But it might just be wear & tear on the left button.
CX
Grafter

It does sound like the micro-switch has failed, failing or dirty.
Cherry keyboards and mice are usually good quality; even the stuff at the low end of their range.
TheKeyboardCo are a good company to deal with. Very friendly; always answer the phone or emails.
http://www.keyboardco.com/mouse/cherry-azuro-blue-wireless-optical-mouse.asp
http://www.keyboardco.com/mouse/cherry-gentix-corded-optical-illuminated-mouse.asp
picbits
Rising Star

If you're feeling lucky, pop into Maplin and grab a can of contact cleaner (around a fiver) - squirt a bit into the switch and click it a few times and see if that helps - I've resurrected lots of old gear with contact cleaner.
robski1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 7

Hi Mav, had the same problem. The OMRON switches used in the Logitech mouse are prone to failure. If you do fancy a go with the soldering iron you can get the swtches here: http://h-instruments.ecrater.co.uk/p/12945448/2x-omron-d2fc-f-7n-micro. Mine arrived in 10 days after ordering. I'm not the best with a soldering iron but I managed to do it. Hope this helps.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Stop faffin` about...... for less than a fiver.... FREE delivery.....
Ebay item number .....  290916085224  should sort you out... !  Cheesy
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Amazon do very cheap mouses - if you buy a cheap book will this make for free delivery???

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."