Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motherboard Bios update - sods law

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Motherboard Bios update - sods law

Got a new video card today but its proving to be difficult to get it working, Bios stops just before detecting my HDD's etc, it does power up and is displaying the bios screen so I know its working to a point.
Stage one was to put the old one back in and all is fine
Stage two check the connections and power, it doesn't have a 6 pin power socket same as my old one so tried it in the second graphic PCIe slot, no joy
Stage three put the old one back it with the new one still in the second slot, pc boots and runs as normal just can't use the new one
Stage four, Bios update and it all goes wrong
3.5" drive and no floppies so I can't put the bin on one to update it with ezflash that is built into the bios
I have two DVD burners both IDE, only my mother board  has sata connections and I have no ide to sata adaptors.  So I can't even just make a data CD/DVD with the bios on it
Not got a single usb stick to do the same
A year ago I had a clear out when sods law hit me with delayed reaction, then I had a box of floppies, then I had a sata to ide adaptor, but threw them out with 15 years worth of old pc's
So for the sake of a 3.5" floppy I will have to buy a usb stick tomorrow to find out if it helps, if not RMA the card.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
15 REPLIES 15
NedLudd
Grafter

Re: Motherboard Bios update - sods law

USB floppy drives are available on eBay for less than a tenner!  Shocked
Oops misread! You need a floppy disk?
Geoff,
York.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Yeah I had that problem when I tried to get an old Sony l/t working. It would only boot from a floppy disk.. Did I have any, did anyone I know have any .. NO!
Trip to WH Smith and a few quid lighter and I have a new box of floppies all bar 1 unused and will probably be lost before I need them again  Cry
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Quote from: Hairy
I have a new box of floppies all bar 1 unused and will probably be lost before I need them again  Cry

Seems like a spot of "in line" trading is appropriate here..... Why not PM each other and arrange something?  Wink
avatastic
Grafter

If you have a second machine, you can easily set up a tftp/pxe server and netboot a (Free)DOS image with the updater on it.
I say easily, it's been a while since I set mine up and it now sits there just working and offering me the ability to install Windows or Linux with out any physical media (or just boot to a read only Live Linux) as well as off line virus scanning, etc.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Gus
Aspiring Pro

Before I RMA this graphics card with a doesn't work with my motherboard excuse trying to see if I am missing the obvious.
On its first install it got to the bios screen when the boot up stalls just before the HDD detection, which I can see on my monitor
Put the old one back in and it worked fine
Tried with the new card in the second graphics slot and again same result at the bios
Then left it there and put the old one back in, pc boots and runs normally.  In windows Nvidia drivers can see it to use it for Physx, which I tried and I did get FPS improvement my newer games that use Physx.
So figure it might be a power issue.  The card has no extra 6 pin socket, it gets its power via the motherboard, so I unplugged out all my extra HDD's/DVDs and tried again with just the new card in and same result at the bios screen
Today I updated the motherboard bios and repeated those steps with same results
So am I missing something obvious? as I can't see it if I am.
Asus Crosshair II Formula
EVGA GeForce GTX 750 2GB
Corsair 900watt PSU
nothing over clocked
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It says:-
Minimum of a 300 Watt power supply.
Total Power Draw : 55 Watts

You must have a poor computer if it can't provide that.  Grin Grin
BTW  "240Hz Max Refresh Rate" - sounds a bit of a daft thing to want.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

PitchBlack
Grafter

Does it give you any info on the LCD poster ?
Gus
Aspiring Pro

nope no errors on the motherboard LCD
PitchBlack
Grafter

When the BIOS halts before your HDD detection, does the computer reboot by itself ?
Gus
Aspiring Pro

nope it just stalls at that point
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

defiantly sounds like a problem with the card , is it possible to try it in another MB ?
have you had a word with your supplier to see what they say  , my local shop CCL are always glad to stick any problem hardware on a testbed .
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Gus
Aspiring Pro

rongtw nope no backup motherboard to test it on and waiting on a reply from Evga currently, I don't want to send it back unless its just a case of its a dead card,it should work just doesn't
PitchBlack
Grafter

I am wondering if it is a setting in your BIOS that needs changing for the new GFX card, I got a 660ti about a year ago and sent off to EVGA for a UEFI BIOS to flash my GFX card. I was still using win7 at the time but I wanted it for when I switched to win 8. I tried the fast boot (under CSM)  in my MOBO BIOS in win 7 and it hung, I knew it wouldn't work but just wanted to try it, so I switched back to normal boot.
I switched to win 8 and everything was fine, maybe the 750 comes with a UEFI bios already installed.
Gus, check this site out, http://rog.asus.com/forum/
I am sure someone on there will be able to help you.
Gus
Aspiring Pro

After a few days of Evga remote support they sent out a replacement card which just arrived and same problem.  So I tried some sideways thinking and no idea why it works.
Put my old graphics card that the Evga is to replace in the first PCI-e slot, it has three PCI-e slots
Then I put the Evga card in slot three, as slot two is covered by the fan/heatsink of the old card
Then connected the monitor cable to the Evga card in slot three, with no monitor on my existing card and it worked.  PC booted using the Evga and ran a couple of games and the Unigine benchmark with increased FPS.
Then I switched the cards about and same problem I have had all the time.  At the bios screen it stops just before HDD detection with LCD error of password.  So a new one on me, never had this problem before
Problem is my old card is dying so I don't want it going pop leaving me with a dead pc, as having it in is the only way the new card works and don't have the cash to get a new motherboard/cpu bundle at the moment to get this card working.  So trying to figure out why it works with the old card in but not with just the Evga.