cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More ofers for advertising.

seanbranagh
Grafter

More ofers for advertising.

Just got another email offering to exchange links with one of my sites. This time for my site hosted on my server in my house. The message was from the editor of top10-broadband.co.uk
I have declined the offer. They obviously did not read much through the site or else they would have realized that they were offering to advertise on a homemade webserver running on an ADSL connection! Either that or they are desperate.
8 REPLIES 8
techguy
Grafter

Re: More ofers for advertising.

Was probably a bot that did the trawling.
However as you'll see from my screengrab the IP allocation plainly says Dial-up and ADSL pool.
seanbranagh
Grafter

I just tried that Netcraft toolbar. Tried it on one of my other sites. It says that the site is on a Poundhost dedicated server when infact it is on an Eukhost reseller server (puma.eukhost.com)?
seanbranagh
Grafter

Upon further investigation it also thinks that this server is running Microsoft IIS when infact it is running Cent OS 5.2 and Apache 1.3.41
techguy
Grafter

Maybe the company could have located its servers in a blue square data data centre (poundhost is their web hosting brand) and is using an IP allocated by the DC operator rather than their own for the reseller platform.
Could also be that IP was last associated with a server running windows and the survey hasn't yet updated, anyway link to FAQs provided below
http://toolbar.netcraft.com/help/faq/index.html#privacy
Edited to add more detail
seanbranagh
Grafter

No. I have had a Linux reseller package with Eukhost now for well over a year. The server and IP address has changed in that time but was always Linux. Wouldn't pay for Windows hosting and I wouldn't trust it. The server is 92.48.117.2 (puma.eukhost.com)
techguy
Grafter

techguy
Grafter

Pass on the OS and webserver unless they have implemented load balancing using a Windows server but that seems rather ridiculous.
techguy
Grafter

and a tracert reveals that the server is connected to the Blueconnex network which is operated by Bluesquare so I think they have relocated their infrastructure to a Bluesquare DC so thats why you are getting that result for IP anyway.