Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More internet connections

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

More internet connections

I have been being "harassed" by Kaspersky AV pop-up for sometime at logon (see this board passim). After getting an answer from Kaspersky (I have to say eventually) that it was to do with the router name, as its used quite commonly by them. The advice was to change the name but retain the existing password. 

With nothing else better to do this fine morning, I did just that. The PC, iPhone and iPad were quite easy just needing a search for the new name, and use the old password. I haven't done them yet, but I guess the printers will equally straight forward.

No more pop-up's from Kaspersky.

But though, it is a different story with the Sky HD+ box and the Sky On Demand box (although the two status lights are on), both of these report FAIL for the necessary WiFi/internet connections (in Services/Connections), initially I'm not surprised about that, but there doesn't seem to be any way to alter the WiFi settings. The Amazon Fire-Stick was also fairy straight forward to change.

Has anybody on here had to install a new router or change the details similar to above, and have the same problems with Sky appliances, if so how did you fix it?

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
6 REPLIES 6
petlew
Pro

Re: More internet connections

Following this...

With the change of router name (keeping the existing passphrase, as Netgear call it) I was as reported in the OP able to get online with the PC, iPhone, iPad, printers and Fire Stick. The problem is that I am unable to change the router name within Sky TV/On Demand boxes.

After a half hour with Sky tech services, I was advised that in Services/Network red button. I should be able to reset the network. A Sky software update was applied, which was supposed to solve the problem. Pressing the red button is supposed to bring up a three option menu. After two attempts at this both failed to show the required menu.

Out of frustration, I returned to the original router name, and behold everything with Sky returned to normal. So the Sky TV/On Demand is seeing a WiFi, but only the original rname being allowed. 

Of course, on reboot the Kaspersky security pop-up that started all this off returned.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

If your only problem is with Kaspersky popping up... dump Kaspersky and use Microsoft Security Essentials... or whatever its called if you are using Window 10 .

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

I'm surprised that the pop up does not have a 'carry on and don't remind me again option'. Have you looked to see if there's one lurking?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

petlew
Pro

@shutter, I use the paid for version, and I've only just renewed it

@Baldrick1 if it was only that easy.... I wish.

The issue with the Kaspersky pop-up is, that the name of the router (just for information, the name you see when you see a list of yours and nearby systems when pressing the internet icon) is used by Netgear for many of their routers up and down the country, the passphrases (as Netgear calls them) are different of course. 

The pop-up (and I don't have it front of me at this moment) say's there is a security risk, but as usual with this sort of thing doesn't indicate what. Nor does it have any kind of link in it.

Eventually after sending a screenshot to Kaspersky I got the info I was looking for, and I have to say it involved three phone calls - one from them to me - before they diagnosed what the pop-up actually meant.

To be honest it seems its a very low level security risk, which is why it has taken so long for me to decide to sort it out, only to be beaten by Sky and have to return to the original name, and, annoying pop-ups.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Have you seen this? http://helpforum.sky.com/t5/Archived-Discussions/Can-t-Connect-Sky-HD-To-New-Wifi-Router/m-p/2744188.

Is there a factory reset facility on the Sky box?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

petlew
Pro

Not as such no. Sky + HD uses disconnect from the mains and wait for the magic 20 seconds. Plugging back in starts an update. Holding down the Back Up button while plugging in starts a complete system reset and update that takes around 15 minutes, this has been done twice today.

I've been in and out of that community forum for most of the day, but failed to find any clues.

Pretty much decided to put up with it, and keep everything crossed that the router doesn't blow.