cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More drivil from Which? on broadband speeds...

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

More drivil from Which? on broadband speeds...

Not really sure where the right place for this is ... want more visibility of it for others than its going to get on chat...

Just received a mail out from Which? entitled "Worst broadband speeds revealed" with an invitation to test how mine compares ... so I did and got this result...Which?'s speed test...Which?'s speed test...

... on a line which the ADSL router reports as running at ...

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 888 / 5.952

I can see the champion (not) of the consumer causing a lot of non-tech-savvy users to be mightily confused! Ticked_off

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

8 REPLIES 8
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: More drivil from Which? on broadband speeds...

Moderator's note:

@Townman As it isn't really a Plusnet support/feedback issue I have moved it to Tech Help.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

They should stick to vacuum cleaners and fridges etc - never did have much of a grip on telecoms related subjects.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I must admit I do find the words which, broadband and drivel in the same sentence to be rather satisfying.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Anonymous
Not applicable

There was an article on the BBC citing this information and I couldn’t help but think how skewed these numbers could be. As the information is based on speed test data it doesn’t take into account availability of high speed broadband. The numbers would be very different if all of the tests done in the various areas were done from connections that supported the maximum speed available at the exchange.

Now where’s my salt.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I can remember reading some posts (possibly on Thinkbroadband.com) when they first started to collect data and people complaining about how inaccurate the speedtests were.  If I remember correctly  I gave it a go and got massively lower results than every other speedtester around that I tried, and were better known than the one Which? were using.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

And here's me thinking I could still happily live with a 3G dongle!

Mind you admittedly I wouldn't want to run an entire house's youtube on one.. 

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Peterworks
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Thought I would upset the apple cart. My download speed averages out at about 28 mbps. However Which? thinks differently!

If only...

Capture15-06-2017-16.23.36.jpg

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Apart from the ping time, it seems a fairly decent comparison.Screenshot from 2017-07-13 17-30-59.png

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."