Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Big Brother regulations from the EU

zubel
Community Veteran

More Big Brother regulations from the EU

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/03/telco_data_retention/
The new rules do not apply to internet activity, so details of websites visited, emails sent and received, and Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) phone calls need not be kept. That will change, though. The directive requires that member states extend their retention rules to internet data by 15 March 2009.

Interesting quote - it appears that but 2009, ISP's are required by EU law to record emails, VOIP communications and a website history for everyone accessing the internet.
I'm glad I have a hosted server through which I can proxy and encrypt my email and web traffic.  Not that I'm doing anything illegal, but I do like my privacy.
B.
8 REPLIES 8
Denzil
Grafter

Re: More Big Brother regulations from the EU

They have made it clear that the content of telephone calls is not recorded, only the numbers, times etc.
God
Grafter

I got all worked up about the privacy thing a few years ago, went as far as registering with PGP etc. But of course the whole idea was pointless as unless you are communicating with another paranoid they don't have PGP or whatever.
Ergo, if two folks communicate via encryption they have something to hide. Arrest those men!!!!
There is no privacy really and we would do well to remember it. Plusnet staff could (not suggesting they would) have a look at where you go what you do and who you say it to anytime they like.
Frightening really isn't is?
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

What's the point in building up a vast store of each individuals telephone network - obviously to assist in bugging these numbers at some future date?
Obviously, if I wished to destroy any worthwhile target, I'd buy myself a collection of disposable mobiles for use in plotting with my associates. Similarly, I would signup for a bunch of trash AOL email addresses, just like the spammers do.
Big waste of time - unless you are simply interested in controlling your population.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

pcoventry76
Grafter

Quote from: Barry
The new rules do not apply to internet activity, so details of websites visited, emails sent and received, and Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) phone calls need not be kept. That will change, though. The directive requires that member states extend their retention rules to internet data by 15 March 2009.

Interesting quote - it appears that but 2009, ISP's are required by EU law to record emails, VOIP communications and a website history for everyone accessing the internet.
I'm glad I have a hosted server through which I can proxy and encrypt my email and web traffic.  Not that I'm doing anything illegal, but I do like my privacy.
B.

same here that's why i use a VPN
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: Barry

Does this mean that you will be banned from rejecting spam - indeed you must carefully store it for future perusal by the Gestapo/Stazi/KGB security services?

suesykes
Grafter

Welcome to America!!!!
The yanks want all the info off everybody... Its been going on for years...  They tell us the world is dangerous and its for our own good. 
Wait till the Americans have control of the world, it'll make Saddam look like a bloody angel.
They blurt on about free speech and democracy.... Since Thatcher had her claws in the UK and changed the UK to an extention of the USA we are slowly, but surely becoming a dictatorship. 
I'll probably get arrested for saying George Bush is a inbred southern tosser, but what the hell.... Tony Blair is an extension of George Bush's nasel hair too.....
Wooo I feel better now I have that off my chest.... Last word!
Watch out for the Americans....Dont trust em!
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: suesykes
Welcome to America!!!!
The yanks want all the info off everybody... Its been going on for years...  They tell us the world is dangerous and its for our own good. 
Wait till the Americans have control of the world, it'll make Saddam look like a [Censored] angel.
They blurt on about free speech and democracy.... Since Thatcher had her claws in the UK and changed the UK to an extention of the USA we are slowly, but surely becoming a dictatorship. 
Watch out for the Americans....Dont trust em!

They also wonder why nobody loves them. Can't think why.
They did a great job of destroying an ancient culture in Iraq. They had a dictator who destroyed all terrorists effectively and efficiently [it was strictly a one-terroist state].
The West has succeeded in creating thousands of terrorists.

pcoventry76
Grafter

I wish they would stop and find out.