Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitor question

paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Monitor question

My old 19" crt monitor is playing up and I'm looking at some typical 22" widescreen replacments, most of them have a native resolution of  1680 * 1050. I am using a Radeon 9800 graphics card with latest drivers (Win XP) but if I right click on the desktop and go to properties/settings the best resolution it gives is 1600 * 1200 and the next one down is 1400 * 900. Do monitors come with their own drivers or will I have to upgrade to a different graphics card.
Does anyone have any special likes/dislikes when it come to manufactures, I'm looking at the cheaper end of the market - less than £150
Paul
7 REPLIES 7
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Monitor question

Most monitors are PNP (plug and play) and normally only settings that the monitor can use will be displayed.
So what you describe is what I'd expect.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That is because the graphics card only reports the resolution the monitor supports. A 9800 will happily output 1680 x 1050
Regarding the monitor - what do you use it for - gaming or photo type editing. For gaming you need a low refresh rate but for photo you need a good colour accuracy.
This one seemed to perform OK for my daughter Neovo from Scan also have read on this forum http://forums.hexus.net/graphics-cards-monitors/
Just a note - some monitors don't include a DVI cable so watch that.
paulgul
Rising Star

Ah, thats ok then, main use is for photos and general purpose use - not into games at all.
I was getting a bit worried I might have extra expense  Wink
Paul
samuria
Grafter

All though most monitors are plug and pray you should have or be able to download at least a inf file for the monitor which is like a driver that tells windows what it can be set to.
The range will be effected by the Hkzs you set the monitor to so setting it to say 60 may give you more than say at 75
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Under advanced settings, adapter I have a button "List All Modes" which shows all the modes the graphics card supports irrespective of whether the monitor can handle them - do you not have that button?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pnf
Grafter

I have used a 24" monitor, native resolution of 1920 x 1200, with a Radeon 9800 pro and it worked perfectly well.
paulgul
Rising Star

Quote from: jelv
Under advanced settings, adapter I have a button "List All Modes" which shows all the modes the graphics card supports irrespective of whether the monitor can handle them - do you not have that button?

Yes, I found that but it still only shows up to 1600 * 1200 at various frequencies