Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitor...Colour Space

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Monitor...Colour Space

Recently treated myself to a new colour monitor as I do a fair bit of photography,there are a range of options under the colour space menu,
Adobe RGB
Apple RGB
CIE
Colour match RGB
Dell S2340 Colour profile
Monitor
Pal/SECAM
ProphotoRGB
SMPTE - C
Does it make much difference to which one I use ?  Will it make much difference if any to printed photography  & if not what's the point in having this range of options ?
We are born into history and history is born into us.
2 REPLIES 2
Thunderclap
Grafter

Re: Monitor...Colour Space

Cool It depends how much of a perfectionist you are, how good your eyes are, how expensive your printer is and the inks you are using... Professional colourists, people who work in the printing industry, a monitor calibrated to the printing process is very important. But in truth, most people couldn't tell the difference between generic default and Adobe RGB. The difference is far more subtle even than the Normal/Dynamic/Movie/Muted modes on an LED TV. To get the most from your gamut you need an automated colour calibration tool - basically a mouse sized thing that measures the screen colour. I'm sure you know what that is. I did it once and could not tell the difference - but that monitor was now calibrated and the guy was happy. I've concluded that monitors are good at maintaining their gammuts over time and calibration is subjective science anyway.
Read this >
http://www.pcworld.com/article/241957/how_to_calibrate_your_monitor.html
I'd guess, if you're using Photoshop Adobe RGB and set PS to use that too?
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Re: Monitor...Colour Space

Thanks for the response, I do have a fairly old calibrator, so old that I had to download the software to use it with windows 7, like you I could hardly see any difference.
Although the monitor is upgraded and photos look great, it could get quite expensive to upgrade to a top class printer along with all the other accessories such as printer calibration, professional photography paper & the rest.
Smiley
We are born into history and history is born into us.