cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Money Saving Expert have given my email to spammers?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Money Saving Expert have given my email to spammers?

I've just received a spam email addressed to moneysavingexpert@myusername.plus.com Looking at the headers it looks like it was sent from somewhere in Asia.
I am 100% sure that email address has only been used to sign up to the Money Saving Expert website.
Has anyone else suspicions that they have started receiving spam as a result of signing up to those newsletters?

Edit: Something doesn't stack up. I've just checked the last genuine email and I actually signed up using moneysavingexpert@mydomain not username.plus.com, so the spam was to an email address that I've NEVER used. So how the !**! did the spammers come up with that email address?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
9 REPLIES 9
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Re: Money Saving Expert have given my email to spammers?

Just occurred to me that there is another possibility: Plusnet's webmail has been compromised again
craigyoung
Grafter

Aren't most of the addreses just randomly generated, and a small percentage get through? Very little of the stuff I get is correctly addressed to me.
MSE won't risk giving your email to spammers - it destroys their whole business model.  Though hacking is a different kettle of fish.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

My reaction was much the same, utter disbelief when I saw the email address the spam had been sent to. I wouldn't have thought it was an address that would be randomly generated, it has got to be a result of a compromise somewhere and there's only ONE place that moneysavingexpert and myusername.plus.com co-exist and that's on Plusnet's servers.
Lurker
Grafter

It does sound fairly damning, especially given past history, and as you say, if there is only one organisation who knows both parts of the puzzle, so to speak...
hadden
Grafter

I also subscribe to their newsletter with a unique email address (with a very very similar prefix to yours Smiley ), but I haven't received any spam email to it...  ...yet.
I've no spam filtering enabled (as there's none to be filtered), so a spam message should have got to me, if it existed.
Perhaps the prefix and domain don't need to co-exist anywhere other than in a spammers list  Sad
If you and I are anything to go by, the prefix may not be very unique amongst the 4 million email addresses that the newsletter gets sent to.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Just wondering.............. apart from posting it on this forum, have you informed anyone (security?) at PlusNet Towers......?
Million
Grafter

hey, its not the spam im so concernd about, i dont get that much so can easily be deleted, altho it would be nice for it to be auto.
Its the general speed of squirel on this server, its so boringly slow that  can for a jog around the block, come back and still be waiting for it to do somthing, then it times out, as i say, unusable really, its fine with a  client, but i dont always have my main pc with me, so its a proper pain.
anyone lese have this prob?
why is the option not there to use a differnt webmail client also like alot of others?
Altho i dont think its down to squirrel, as i use it fine with other domains on other servers
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I use a non-PN account for MSE and I haven't had any suspicious email... yet
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I've now raised an abuse report.