cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem/router upgrade

OshB5
Grafter

Modem/router upgrade

Hi All. Right before fibre I always had my router upstairs which was plugged into the BT master socket via a 3m cat5 cable But then when I had fibre I had the modem that was supplied by Bt/Plusnet and plugged into the original cat5 that went to the bedroom and the new twin channel router. Because all my original network items where terminated in the bedroom. However Iv been given a very good quality gigabit switch so now is the time Iv thought about having a combined modem and router downstairs by the Bt masterplug. So I am looking for suggestions please. I’m mainly doing this as I’m needing 3 cat5/6 cables downstairs and rather than running them back down I can get the new unit and run them from this while the original modem to router cable can go to the gigabitswitch and all upstairs cables can plug into that?

Does this sound like a plan or can anyone suggest a better way or any other suggestions  oh the 3 cat5/6 cables I need downstairs are for PC streaming media hub and TV Upstairs where was where I wired the house and radio shack in cat/5 sockets in every room and terminated them to a patch panel in my bedroom by my original modem

Like I say if no other ways can be thought of then suggestions are needed for the modem/router please and it needs to be at least twin channel 2.4 and 5Ghz 

thank you in advance. 

Regards OS

5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Modem/router upgrade

I'm a bit confused to what you're asking but if I've got it right then if you put a combined modem router downstairs then this will give you 4 LAN sockets. 3 can be used for your downstairs devices and the 4th used for the cable going upstairs. Upstairs you put your new switch on the other end of this cable and you have the upstairs ports from this for your other devices,

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

OshB5
Grafter

Hello Baldrick 1. You have it spot on. And I just wondered if that was the best way of doing what I wanted. Because there is nothing wrong with either the modem or the router the main thing is needing the extra 3 cat5/6 cables.  

So I think the whole point of the post is asking for modem/router suggestions please?  

Thanks OS

Gerry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Just bought a BT business hub 6 off ebay for £40 brand new which is a combined modem/router with the 4 gigabit cat6 sockets you require. Only had it a week but so far it does just what I want including Plusnet TV and has been rock solid.

I have a similar system to yours except my patch panel and gigabit switch is in the garage out of sight and all that.

Gerry.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@OshB5 wrote:

Hello Baldrick 1. You have it spot on. And I just wondered if that was the best way of doing what I wanted. Because there is nothing wrong with either the modem or the router the main thing is needing the extra 3 cat5/6 cables.  

Yes this is the best way

So I think the whole point of the post is asking for modem/router suggestions please?  

I also use a busness Smarthub 6, see here for setting it up. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...   I paid less than £20 including postage for the last one I bought from EBay so it's worth keeping an eye out for the bargains. 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to Tech Help 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'