cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem and Router on same connection?

alliejc
Grafter

Modem and Router on same connection?

We have a Netgear DG834PN router which is wired to our main PC and then a wireless card for our laptop. We also have both Wii and PS3 consoles that we'd like to connect to the internet with. The problem is that both consoles are in our static caravan which is next to the house and the wireless won't reach, neither will the laptop if using it in the caravan.
The only way we can think to get round it is to install an extension phone socket in the caravan (if this is possible) and then have a router in the caravan so that the consoles and the laptop can all connect wirelessly.
The problem is that if we move the router, how do we then connect the main PC in the house? I understand that it's impossible to have two routers using the same account but could we have the router and then just use a usb modem for the computer in the house? (as we don't need this to be wireless) Or would they conflict?
Would that work or is there another solution to this?
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Many thanks
Allie

7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Modem and Router on same connection?

Have you thought of a wireless range extender  to extend the range of the wireless router such as this http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopSearch.asp?CategoryID=259
paulby
Grafter

You could run the router or the modem but not both at the same time.
As Oldjim said, a wireless range extender may do the trick but be careful with these as they tend to only work with a limited range of routers - usually from the same manufacturer as the router.
Another alternative would be to run an ethernet cable out to the caravan from the router (provided it's less then 100m away) and connect a wireless access point such as one of these.
alliejc
Grafter

Thanks guys,
I have considered a range extender but reluctant to buy in case I can't set it up or it still doesn't reach.
I've been looking at a Linksys one. I know it's not the same make as my router but from reviews I have read, several people have said that they are using it with the same router I have with no problems.
Much appreciated.
Allie

paulby
Grafter

I have the Linksys one too and it was fairly easy to set up (you can do it manually via a web interface or with a wizard which they provide on a disc).  Don't know about it working with other makes though as I have one of their access points which is on their supported list.
samuria
Grafter

A cable is by far the best option as its cheaper no setup secure and faster so why risk an extender if you wont be able to set it up?
A Yagi antenna  may work as that could double the range and they are not dear.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Would using powerline HomePlug adapters provide a more robust solution?
David
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: samuria
A cable is by far the best option as its cheaper no setup secure and faster so why risk an extender if you wont be able to set it up?

Running a cable have a similar range as a wireless link unless you use an optical cable. Below is the spec for cable runs.
Total distance between an Ethernet Transmitter and Receiver at the absolute end points of the network (maximum diameter from origin to final destination, if the wires were stretched out to form a straight line): 100 Meters (328 ft., 109 yds., or about the length of a football field).  This limitation results from the timing of the Ethernet signals on the cable and not necessarily the cable characteristics, and is, therefore, a "hard" number