Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem Only Recommendations

darkcircuituk
Dabbler

Modem Only Recommendations

Hey all,
Currently I am using an all in one modem/router, which I'm not really happy with (due to wireless/internet drop-outs, inconsistent speed) and also doesn't really fit in well with the restrictions I'm currently facing. To cut a long story short my BT master socket is in a box by my front door and due to the cowboy that installed the phone wiring in the house (rented), I have to connect directly through that with a BT accelerator installed. Currently I have a long rj11 cable running from the box to my living room that connects into the modem/router, which then feeds my PCs upstairs wired and my TV in the living room (wired).
I'm not 100% sure that I can blame my current solution for my extremely poor broadband provision, but I get the feeling that the inconsistencies in my connection might be being caused by the 15m long RJ11 cable. When I was with BT I spoke to one of their engineers who told me that even 5m extra cable length could have a dramatic effect on my broadband speed when it is only 2mbps at the best of times.
My plan is to separate my router & modem into two different components keeping the modem in the box by the front door with a very short rj11 cable and run a RJ45 from the modem to the router in the living room. The router I am planning to get is the Asus RT-N66U, which gets very favourable reviews, but I'm not sure which modem to pair with it. Does anyone have any experience with using a separate modem with their plus net connection? I was originally looking at the Draytec Vigor 120, however people are suggesting that I might face compatibility problems due to it not running a broadcom chipset.
Thanks for any help you can offer,
Dave
5 REPLIES 5
rja
Grafter

Re: Modem Only Recommendations

No insight on the Asus I'm afraid. I am curious though why you're bothering to go for a separate modem. Why not just put the PN supplied modem/router in your hall as you planned and then turn off its wireless interface. Then plug a wireless bridge into one of its ethernet ports and put that in the living room or whatever? This way you're not worrying about whether the chips-sets will cause problems as all your connectivity to the outside world is handled by the PN supplied kit. You're just taking ownership of the connections within your house.
darkcircuituk
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply Smiley
I am actually looking to replace my router as it is really not good (it's a Linksys WAG320N). I'm planning to get a separate router & modem due to reading the advantages offered by having both when you switch around ISPs (don't have to replace the router every time, just the modem when switching to cable for example) and also by having a separate modem I am able to use the Asus router, which has the best reviews of any router I've seen. Through the years I have had roughly 10 routers and every one has been pretty dire, really hoping that the Asus will provide me with a more stable solution.
I have also setup a wired 1gbps network so I really don't want to switch to wireless for gaming upstairs, IMO wireless should only be used for mobile devices.
Dave
rja
Grafter

Fair enough. I don't think the 1Gb issue is a problem though. You'd plug your access point and your old router into your 1Gb switch. If your Internet access router isn't doing it for you though then there's not much point keeping it I guess. I believe the N66U can have its WAN port set to a static IP address so you do have the option of keeping the old router and siteing the N66U in a good location for wireless access if necessary. All I'm saying is you don't necessarily have to buy a separate modem.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: darkcircuituk
I have also setup a wired 1gbps network so I really don't want to switch to wireless for gaming upstairs, IMO wireless should only be used for mobile devices.

But you blame your connection on the landlord?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

darkcircuituk
Dabbler

Just to clarify, I'm blaming the telephone network on the landlord Wink when the BT engineer came round he said someone had done a shocking job wiring it up and that my only option was to install a BT accelerator to filter out the telephone wiring in the house. With the accelerator fitted I get 1.85mbps, without it I get around 512kb Sad
Dave
P.S. I've been around the house to check the sockets are wired up correctly, seems the problem is the wiring itself which is plastered in so I can't touch it Sad