cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile won't remember wifi password

lineday

Mobile won't remember wifi password

Hello, new here and new to Plusnet. Every time I connect to my wifi network at home I have to re-enter the wifi password, which is annoying and I've never had to do with any other provider at work or home. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to fix this so my phone will remember it? I have a fairly old Samsung Galaxy S5 running Android 5.0. Thanks in advance for any help.

9 REPLIES 9
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Mobile won't remember wifi password

I seem to remember that a few years ago some devices had trouble with the long Plusnet WiFi passwords and the workaround was to change the password to something shorter.  You could try that.

lineday

Thanks, but I tried changing it and it hasn't helped - although my new password is at least easier to remember! The original one wasn't that long, actually.

clive_p
Dabbler

Which router do you have?   Since Plusnet replaced my old Technicolor router with a SagemCom 2704N I've been experiencing the same thing but not every time.  Mostly both our Samsung mobiles connect to wifi automatically except every few days they don't and need to have the wifi password entered again.  Likewise my laptop normally connects automatically to the wifi network, but every few days it doesn't.  It doesn't need a new password entered, and the "connect automatically" box is ticked, it just requires the manual connect button to be clicked after booting up.  This never happened with the old router so it's obviously something wrong with the way that the 2704N handles wifi connections.  But I can't work out what.  Any ideas?

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I would do a factory reset of the router to start with.

Then see if it makes any difference.

If not it could be faulty.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but you are clicking the 'remember password' box aren't you?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

clive_p
Dabbler

Yes, of course.  As I said, it mostly works, but maybe one time in 5 or 10 (say once a week) it fails to connect and I have to re-enter the password.  There's no reason why it should remember the password some times and not all the time.  My wife has a similar Samsung phone and finds exactly the same behaviour.   I've never had that in several years of using a Plusnet-supplied Netgear modem.  It's clearly something badly programmed in the SagemCom one.

To answer another response: yes I have done a hard reset, and also got Plusnet to send me the latest firmware.  Didn't help.  

Thanks for both suggestions.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

The 2704 is a pretty dire router. Why not go back to using your old one and see if that fixes the problem?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

clive_p
Dabbler

I agree the 2704 is not very good.  But I only got it because of what turned out to be an intermittent fault with the old one and when I last tried to switch back it failed within a few seconds. 

At least the 2704 stays up for a long time with no line dropouts.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Which PlusNet model router is causing the problem?

So far it is the OP and @clive_p who seem to be having the issue.

I'm thinking you both may have a faulty router.

If it were a defect in the design or a firmware bug, etc. I would expect to see many more complaints on here.