cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile access to my account

Carras

Mobile access to my account

When I travel I carry a notebook to enable me to keep in contact. Some hotels offer free WiFi but some are very expensive.
Is there a dongle I could carry which would connect me to my Plus net account while away?
8 REPLIES 8
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Mobile access to my account

I have a 3G dongle... initial cost included 1gb ..... cost me £25 ( I think) four years ago.... recently I have started "saving" with SAMBA MOBILE....
You (are suppposed to) watch adverts, and this adds a credit to your email address ( which you  log in with to get your credits)... So far, this year,  I have "earned" ( saved ) 7.2 Gb ... so plenty of FREE usage when I go on hols ! ! ...
Did you notice " FREE"...  yes... all you pay for is the SIM card . ( was £5.00) and then you are ready to add your credit to your email address... What I do, is to have SAMBA adverts running in the background, on my home laptop... and carry on doing what I normally do .... you have to keep checking back to click on the ads to "view" them... You need to disable ADBlocker, and Ghostrey for it to work properly...
http://www.sambamobile.com/Home/Samba
(Dongle + SIM is still £25.00........ SIM £5.00)
drj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I have had a non-time-expiring Vodafone mobile internet dongle for several years - and it's been fine. Problem is they've completely changed their terms of service and have changed everyone on this service to a monthly-time-expiring tariff.
Hence I've been investigating alternatives but no one appears to be doing a proper PAYG mobile internet service at a reasonable price (Vodafone is now £3 per day).
Hence my solution is going to be to upgrade my phone to a smartphone with tethering, and to use that as a wifi hotspot on the odd occasion I need remote access.
Dongles are only of use if you need a regular connection.
shutter
Community Veteran

I've been investigating alternatives but no one appears to be doing a proper PAYG mobile internet service at a reasonable price (Vodafone is now £3 per day).

As mentioned in my previous post.... SAMBA MOBILE is FREE..... why pay for your mobile use? when you can get it FREE ... that means you get it FREE , you don`t have to pay for it, because it is FREE Why pay, even £3 to use your mobile dongle, if you can get if FREE.. or did you miss something ?
If you have "normal connection"... you (supposedly) watch adverts on that ... and get credit for it... which makes the use of your DONGLE on a MOBILE network, like 3G for FREE... SIMPLES. !  Roll_eyes
Oh, forgot to mention... IF you run out of credit...    Shocked    you can also PAY for some use at £2.50    Cheesy    .... apart from that it is FREE ....  Wink
drj
Aspiring Pro

Samba is not really "free" - their website notes:
For every ad you view, we give you 3.5MB of credit. Most ads are between 30 and 60 seconds long. Some are longer, some are shorter. Samba mobile data is credited to your account, and you use it when you want. Free internet on the go, the Samba way.
Since I typically use, say, 150MB of data on a long weekend away, that would involve me watching 43 videos. No thanks! I'm not going to bother with that rigmarole. I realise you have a get-round to achieve it, but I'm not convinced I'd be organised enough to do that.
The cash top-up is not £3 - it's £3.50. It's £3.50 for 250MB and £5 for 500MB both for 30 days. For very occasional use that's more expensive than Vodafone at £3/200MB/24 hours though admittedly less than Vodafone's £5/250MB/30 days.
I'd probably have to get a new dongle too (the Vodafone one is only just working on Windows Cool whereas getting a new phone would be upgrading something I've had for nearly ten years and long overdue in any case.
shutter
Community Veteran

the "workaround" only involves getting logged in, then starting the ad , noting the time the ad is due to run, and get on with something else in the meantime... coming back to ths SAMBA page to get the next ad running and so on... not too difficult... !... If you "  watched "  6 ads per night for 7 days, you will have "watched" enough for your 150mb weekend.... and it is a lot easier than  getting credit by PAYING for it... 600 mb in a 4 week period FOR FREE... and not a lot of effort...  I joined SAMBA in FEB this year... have  got 7.4Gb in credit...!... so plenty to play with when I go away...
I have not paid for ANY mobile internet usage since then !... So... Yes... SAMBA is really FREE...
It is surprising how easy it is to get the credit churning up into bigger numbers... especially when they have Double Data weekends... !..  Just think of all the time you spend on the computer, and you could be earning credit at the same time.... sort of, like, being paid to surf the net !.   :o.. SIMPLES ! ! .. Wink

I`m earning more credit as I am doing this ! ! ! !.......

EDIT EDIT EDIT
since posting the above, (  at 14:33 ) I have been surfing the net and "watching"   not actually watching ... ads on SAMBA... no pressure... and have added another 100mb in 2 hours ... didn`t cost me anything..
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: drj
Hence I've been investigating alternatives but no one appears to be doing a proper PAYG mobile internet service at a reasonable price (Vodafone is now £3 per day).
Hence my solution is going to be to upgrade my phone to a smartphone with tethering, and to use that as a wifi hotspot on the odd occasion I need remote access.

Depends, to some extent, on your view about T&Cs - tethering is not always "permitted" with PAYG Shocked
I've never understood why as, apart from "unlimited" situations, tethering does not use more data than using the phone - you get a fixed amount for your money Roll_eyes
As an aside, I was once told by the IT dept that four people sharing a 10Mb network connection used more data than a single person maxing out the line*  Huh
In both cases, the situation is clearly how to maximise income (real or notional).
* possibly based on using MS Windows 3.1, where the 486DX33 would drop packets, whereas using Slackware the line would comfortably "max out".
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
drj
Aspiring Pro

I was thinking of a monthly contract not PAYG.
AlaricAdair
Champion

I've started using the 3 Mifi which seems to work well in the UK. It is limited in which countries their service is available abroad. When I'm travelling on business and in the country for a week or so I'll just rent a Mifi unit at the airport unless the hotel provides a free in room internet.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.