cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing or corrupt Windows\Ststem32\config\System

juliasdream
Grafter

Missing or corrupt Windows\Ststem32\config\System

When I try to boot Win XP I get the error message "Missing or corrupt Windows\Ststem32\config\System
I tried using the Setup disc typing R for Recovery
In the so-called Recovery console I get the option to select 1: C:\WINDOWS or abort
When I select 1: I just get C:\Windows>
Its not clear where I go from there
I dont want to re-install just yetr because I lost the win key and need to get the system running in order to run Jellybean Keyfinder to retrieve it
Can anyone help?
Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Missing or corrupt Windows\Ststem32\config\System

You need to follow the instructions here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
This takes a little time but it really does work!
If there is no obvious cause for the corrupt registry, like a power failure or a computer crash, then it may be a sign that your hard disk is reaching the end of its life.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I've used that process several times (professionally), indeed I've even done variations on it (taken some shortcuts) but that's definitely not for the uninitiated.
It's a bit scary for most people so get a knowledgeable PC person to help if appropriate. It's also good to have a second system up and running in case you need to check anything online.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

From the blurb at http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/
"Another feature is the ability to retrieve product keys from unbootable Windows installations."
So maybe you don't need to get your system running again?  Better read the instructions!