cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing bits onTask Manager on XP??

bubbalicious
Grafter

Missing bits onTask Manager on XP??

I have had to go back to using a Windows XP laptop after using Vista laptop for 6month+ and maybe I am just not used to XP anymore but something seems wierd with the task manager and what I believe it should give me options to do! Huh
I have attached a jpeg as I am not confident of the terms used but hoping maybe I make sense explaining it?
I can bring up the task manager with Ctrl-Alt-delete or clicking on the task bar. But it isn't giving me the menus or options I expected to see!  I have no 'title' Task Manager' at the top, no icon at the top right to close, minimise, maximise the Task Manager, also nothing at the bottom of the window to close it down. I have no menus that I seem to remember should open tabs to view programs, performance, shut down etc. All I see is a list of what I think are processes listed and only box/option I have showing is to 'end process'.  The only way I can close Task Manager downis by loctating the icon in the task manager (by the clock), right clicking and selecting close, right clicking also lets me 'keep the window on top' but that's all.
I was sure I could use Task Manager to shut down, hibernate the laptop etc, and see a list of programs I have open and if any are 'not responding' close them down that way or switch to another program.  I could be wrong and thinking of what I saw with Vista, but I've been away from any PC for a while and maybe I'm just getting confuised between Vista and XP? Crazy
If anyone thinks I do have a problem and knows how I can fix it -I'd be very grateful ;D! I do have the Service Pack 1&2 installed!
Thanks
15 REPLIES 15
minkey
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Missing bits onTask Manager on XP??

Double Click on the grey bit next to "show all processes...." That should return it to normal
Edit: Just under where the CPU percentage is
HPsauce
Pro

Weird.
Download Microsofts Process Explorer as an alternative - much better anyway.
bubbalicious
Grafter

Minkey - You are my Hero!! Kiss
Hoorah now I see what I was looking for- you star!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
i've never heard of Microsofts Process Explorer - but I will go and have a look!

Cheers Peeps!! Cheesy
HPsauce
Pro

pierre_pierre
Grafter

just done a test on mine, never mind all the others, just double click on one of the grey borders, that will get you back to what you expect.
Now we know what our old favourites name is S
Not applicable

Yes, but its an interesting second name....
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I think thats referring to how long Sally keeps her DSG laptops
Not applicable

LMAO :mand:
bubbalicious
Grafter

Glad to be of amusement - cheeky chappies! 
Thanks James, LMAO has had me puzzled all day to what it meant, my mind has been running crazy trying to figure it out - obviously I'm not as hip and cool as you!
Hey, I only had 2'ish' DSG laptops in 6months, now I have a Sony, sitting pretty waiting to be turned on in its box, I'm plucking up the courage to start it up - I'm getting a bit paranoid! 
Can you believe it the Belkin N Router I bought with the old laptop broke, apparently something had become loose inside - so now I am looking for a new one, any suggestions - Needs to be 802.11 g & n and Sally proof!!!
Night Guys
Sweet Dreams!!!!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Sally in edition 183 of PC Answers (labelled April, next edition due 4th April) is an article on WiFi and the differences  802.11n draft 2.0 Jun 2007 has 4000 listed devices, the n runs at 5GHz and 2.4GHz.  802.11 B and G run at 2.4GHz 802.11a runs at 5GHz So 802.11g should be compatible with all the others, but that doesnt mean that you will get the full through put of 802.11g with the others
is that OK?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Sally the second query LMAO  see  http://silmaril.ie/cgi-bin/uncgi/acronyms and bookmark that for future reference
I am not going to expand it here  Crazy
Not applicable

LMAO =  Laughing My Bottom Off
LMFAO = Laughing My Flipping Bottom Off
ROFL = Rolling On Floor Laughing
STOML = Spat Tea On Monitor Laughing
LOL = Laugh Out Loud
You may find the words don't quite fit the letters in the acronyms in some cases, for those instances one should either ignore the discrepancy, or use ones imagination to substitute other letters.
Also in common use are;
IIRC = If I Recall/Remember Correctly
IMO = In My Opinion
IMHO = In My Honest Opinion
There are many more, and new ones keep popping up - the joys of being lazy when typing! (Although I do prefer those acronyms over txt spk [text speak].)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That reminds me of a talk I heard about a particular mental disorder suffered by some children. The speaker was talking about the part of the brain that controlled the four F's: fight, flight, food and reproduction.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Im not sure if this is text speak
Believe it or not, you can read this.
I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mind.
Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae.
The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
Amzanig huh?

But its better than some of the acronyms