cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing USB Drive on new Motherboard.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Missing USB Drive on new Motherboard.

I’m trying to install Windows 2012 R2 on to a SanDisk Ultra USB 3 disk that's inserted into one of the (blue) USB 3 ports on a brand new ASUS H110M-A motherboard. However, when it comes to selecting the disk to install the OS onto it’s not available in the list, in fact the list is empty.

However, if I opt to install a ‘Storage Driver’ I see the SanDisk listed as drive C when I click the Browse button. I did try and install the USB 3 driver (for 8.1) from the ASUS CD but the install process fails.

Anyone able to help me here?

5 REPLIES 5
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Re: Missing USB Drive on new Motherboard.

This may  be of help Smiley

http://www.howtogeek.com/196817/how-to-create-a-windows-to-go-usb-drive-without-the-enterprise-editi...

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anonymous
Not applicable

That may be an option if I could see the disk in the first place and if I could see the disk then I'd be able to install R2 on it!

Statler
Hooked

Any USB-related firmware (BIOS / UEFI) settings that look relevant (I vaguely remember having to 'unlock' the USB ports in the first UEFI-based system that came my way)?
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I just had trouble installing Windows 10 on a Dell Vostro because I had Windows 10 on a USB3 memory stick and the Dell BIOS (a few years old) could not cope.  It could see the stick was there but not boot from it.  On that basis I would play ultra-safe by using a USB2 memory stick in a USB2 port.

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

I had to change the boot settings in the bios and enable boot from usb and legacy usb support as well as update the bios on my asus mobo before the usb devices would show up during the install process, a lot of head scratching that took less than 10 minutes to fix once I knew what the problem was (after spending a few hours searching the internet for answers I finally found something on toms hardware forums that pointed me in the right direction)

maybe your solution will be something similar

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you