Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Text on Desktop Panel

colintivy
Rising Star

Missing Text on Desktop Panel

Great mystery!! Ubuntu strikes again!!!
Suddenly the text "Applications, Places,System" have all disappeard from the the top panel LHS which is very odd. Nothing was done apart from normal computer use, no updates etc., The edit menu drop down does not have any mention of these and I do not know where to look to repair things. Any ideas chaps???
Shocked Shocked
8 REPLIES 8
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: Missing Text on Desktop Panel

This http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1572248 should help

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

colintivy
Rising Star

Gosh that was quick...and useful. It still does not explain why...perhaps I should not ask!
Cheesy  Cheesy
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Our's is not to reason why...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

colintivy
Rising Star

Got back from Sunday Lunch, indigestion prompted me to investigate the reference. It all works but I can see that it does not quite replicate the original set-up, in that it appears to only allow the panel to show an icon (ubuntu-shaped) which opens the Applications menu, rather than the full three item text as before. The functions of the drop-down menu are all there so there is no loss of useability, but the convenience of clicking on one of them directly is lost. I have searched around but have not found any method of getting back to the original. There must be an entry in a file to do this lurking in the opening-up process but I do not know where.  Any further ideas?Huh
😕
colintivy
Rising Star

@MisterW
I have just posted a query on Ubuntu General Help Forum under the reference thread. It seem odd that two of us (at the moment)  have had exactly the same effect on the same day. Does this suggest that a common cause is about?? While I note that the OP seems to have got his back to what it was by his satisfaction, I have not quite. Could this be because I have not yet up-dated to 10.04 yet? The plot thickens!!
Huh
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I think you've added a 'Main Menu' item rather than 'Menu Bar' items.
BTW I'm running a 10.04 desktop system and a 9.04 Netbook and haven't seen any issues on either of those so far.

Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: colintivy
Suddenly the text "Applications, Places,System" have all disappeard from the the top panel LHS which is very odd.

On my Debian system choosing 'A custom menu bar' from Add to Panel replicates the existing top panel LHS menus on GNOME 2.30.2 (not sure if that also applies to earlier GNOME releases or Ubuntu).
colintivy
Rising Star

@Waldo
Absolute Bull's Eye!  I did not explore that option thinking that it led me to a completely new one. Selecting that put everything back to normal.
Txs a bundle.
Cheesy  Cheesy