Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mint: copy/paste rename mechanism

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Mint: copy/paste rename mechanism

Currently running Mint 15 XFCE (a need for a light-weight and headless Debian based system) and would like to change the Thunar/Caja copy/paste name clash mechanism from the automatic "copy of ... (n)"/"... (copy)" Microsoft clone style to opening the rename dialogue*. The latter is what I'm used to, having used opensuse/KDE for some time, and is far more convenient than searching for the "copy of" file and invoking "rename" (even by typing "co.." -> F2), especially if it is multiple files with markedly differing names.
I haven't found anything via Google (probably the wrong search parameters) Shocked
Any suggestions/pointers welcome** Wink
Phil
* I assume it's a program function and not XFCE as the two file managers use different naming conventions for the copy - I've not tried nemo Roll_eyes
** I'm about to switch to Mint 17 XFCE for the LTS (to 2019)
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
8 REPLIES 8
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Mint: copy/paste rename mechanism

Most file managers use a right-click to access lesser used functions (like rename).
Nemo or Nautilus will give relatively heavyweight file managers - in XFCE terms anyway.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

You could create a custom action.
Check out this for details.
PeeGee
Pro

Thanks, both, for the info. I had a look at the custom action pages, but I doubt it will be (relatively) easy to implement as I would like (eg select multiple files, ctrl+C, ctrl+V and edit the name in the rename box that pops up). I will probably add another NFS link at some stage and then use opensuse/dolphin over the link.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Well you could install dolphin, it brings with it a load of kde stuff, but it might work.
PeeGee
Pro

HB
Had a look at your suggested method, but an old (experimental) Mint14 Xfce had trouble with the "Ubuntu" repos Roll_eyes I didn't pursue it further, but it required about 200MB (and 19 files, including a text editor), so not excessive. I'll have another look once I get Mint 17 loaded.
Thanks
Phil
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: PeeGee
[...]an old (experimental) Mint14 Xfce had trouble with the "Ubuntu" repos ::)[...]

Perhaps due to Mint 14 / Ubuntu 12.10 being EOL since May.
I didn't pursue it further, but it required about 200MB (and 19 files, including a text editor), so not excessive. I'll have another look once I get Mint 17 loaded.

Alternatively, give PCManFM a try; it's the default file manager in LXDE / LXQt - both probably more lightweight than Xfce - and has a similar behaviour to Dolphin where copy & paste are concerned.
PeeGee
Pro

Quote from: Waldo
Perhaps due to Mint 14 / Ubuntu 12.10 being EOL since May.
Alternatively, give PCManFM a try; it's the default file manager in LXDE / LXQt - both probably more lightweight than Xfce - and has a similar behaviour to Dolphin where copy & paste are concerned.

Yep, as are 15 (which I currently use) and 16 - which is why I'm moving to 17 (as well as it being LTS) Shocked
Once I have 17 running, I'll check out PCManFM - thanks for the pointer.
Phil
PeeGee
Pro

Finally got around to adjusting partitions and installing Mint17/xfce. PCmanFM is looking good and, more importantly, does what I want regarding cut/paste - TVM Waldo. Decided to drop FF as well and use the Palemoon fork.
All I need now is to clean out unwanted items and find my notes for vnc (I get a blank screen instead of the greeter), then it can run headless.
Phil