Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mint & Ubuntu 11.04

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Mint & Ubuntu 11.04

Sorry chap just a few more basic questions.
Have been getting on fine with Mint 11 but see Ubuntu 11.04 is also available and appears more popular, from a beginners viewpoint (day 3) should I just stick with Mint or are there advantages for me in changing to Ubuntu ?
Will all or most programs that work on Ubuntu also work with Mint ?
Thanks
We are born into history and history is born into us.
12 REPLIES 12
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Mint & Ubuntu 11.04

The future for Ubuntu looks a bit rocky (possibly).
I can't see why any program (package) should fail on Mint, but work on Ubuntu.
It may be the case that the package will tell you to pre-load certain additional required packages.
What packages did you have in mind?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

I Did not have anything specific in mind but wanted to avoid downloading something that might muck the whole thing up.
I Have downloaded a package called wine and it would be really useful if that allowed me to use Photoshop but I may be getting way ahead of myself on that one.
Anonymous
Not applicable

You might want to look at installing "gimp" as that is the Linux equivalent of "Photoshop"
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles

If you look at /etc/apt/sources.list (the list of online repositories from which you can install/upgrade software) on Mint 11 you'll fine most of them are for Ubuntu 11.04 (aka Natty Narwhal); Mint 11 is based on Ubuntu 11.04 so anything that works on Ubuntu 11.04 should work on Mint 11
Waldo
Grafter

I Have downloaded a package called wine and it would be really useful if that allowed me to use Photoshop but I may be getting way ahead of myself on that one.

WineHQ is the place to look.
Heloman
Grafter

Have been getting on fine with Mint 11 but see Ubuntu 11.04 is also available and appears more popular, from a beginners viewpoint (day 3) should I just stick with Mint or are there advantages for me in changing to Ubuntu ?
Thanks

My first experience of Linux was with Ubuntu. Everything I read made me believe that Linux=Ubuntu.
I didn't enjoy the experience and nearly gave up on Linux. However, when I tried Mint I found it to be far more user-friendly for a Linux newbie.
If you have Windows programs like Photoshop which you can't do without, then it is best to stick with dual-booting with Windows for the time being.
Eventually you'll find Linux alternatives that do the same job  (gimp in this case as you've already heard)
My own experience was that it is far better to dual-boot to begin with than try to start using Wine until you have become more accustomed to Linux.
Just IMHO
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

As has been mentioned Mint is BASED on Ubuntu, but with extras that make it more user friendly OOB (I think) things like being able to play mp3's/dvd's/flash from install rather than being told you need to install something else.
As with others I started with Ubuntu about 6 years ago, but switched to Mint about 3 years ago after an Ubuntu upgrade gave me severe problems - Not moved since then - I look around at what is available but prefer Mint's "style".
Ben_Brown
Grafter

Quote from: Heloman
My first experience of Linux was with Ubuntu. Everything I read made me believe that Linux=Ubuntu.

Unfortunately a lot of media makes this same mistake. Ubuntu has Linux, but Linux is not an Operating System. Linux is the kernel. So Ubuntu is Linux, with a bunch of GNU tools and some of their own stuff. There's a fuller explanation at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux - Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux#GNU.2FLinux too, as pretty much all "Linux Systems" are more accurately "GNU/Linux Systems".
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Quote from: purleigh
You might want to look at installing "gimp" as that is the Linux equivalent of "Photoshop"

All my photos are taken in a RAW format & the latest version of Photoshop has ACR which allows you to do some amazing changes without going into the main program of Photoshop.
I Have not checked out Gimp but doubt it would allow me to do most of the things available in ACR but thanks for the tip.
As you say the best solution is a dual boot system. I Could do all my online work through Linux and offline work via windows.
Anonymous
Not applicable

What you want is the UFRaw plugin for gimp - http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/index.html
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Thanks I will check that out............I would be well pleased if I could Photoshop/ACR running on Linux.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have just checked (Ubuntu 10.10) synaptic package manager, and that includes three ufraw versions (standalone, batch, and gimp),