Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mint 18 question

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Mint 18 question

Don't mention flash.

My PVR missed an episode I really wanted to see - but it was available on catchup Channel 4.
It didn't work in Linux with Firefox - so I installed Chromium and it still didn't work.
I got access to a Windows 7 laptop and updated flash on it - and it still didn't work.

In the end I got hold of a trial Windows 8 image (5GB) for running as a VM (On Linux).
Installed Firefox & updated flash and was finally able to watch my short episode.

Why would Flash not run on Windows 7, but run (full screen) on a Windows 8 VM?

I hate it. Can't wait for HTML5.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Don't mention flash.

You  were the one who mentioned it 3 posts up.

I don't have it installed on any of my Linux boxes, it is just a hole waiting for someone to come through.

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Took the plunge and upgraded mint 17.3 to 18.

Everything appears to have gone ok in the sense I am getting no error messages  and the programs I want to use in Mint appear to be working ok.

It's possible that some program(s) might not be working ok but as I would not be using them I guess that is not a problem.

Downloaded and installed update via the terminal , the dowmload on fibre took about 10 minutes but the actual installation took about 35 minutes, I think there was some message that nearly 2000 files needed changing or updating ?

After downloading but prior to installation it is possible to do a mintupgrade check.

If I continue to have no problems I will have saved myself a lot of time and hassle as I use a dual boot system and there are a lot of programs on windows that would have to be reinstalled

We are born into history and history is born into us.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

There's no reason to expect some programs to fail. But those "2,000 files" might well refer to 2,000 packages each of which consists of a number of files.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I haven't had any programs "fail" after the update. But I did a clean install (keeping my /home)
Glad it went well for you.