Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mint 15 installation issue. SOLVED.

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Mint 15 installation issue. SOLVED.

Reinstalled windows 7 then installed Mint 15 but it kept saying that no other operating system was detected ?
Both windows and Mint 15 both work ok on their own but no matter what option I choose Mint 15 just wipes the drive and installs itself.
No problem with Mint 14 it recognizes windows 7 and gives the option of retaining windows with a dual boot menu
Anyone any ideas ?Huh
We are born into history and history is born into us.
6 REPLIES 6
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Mint 15 installation issue.

Have you tried a custom install, so that you control which partitions get written to.
GRUB should handle the MBR "properly".

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

On the install screen choose custom instead of use whole drive, then partition the drive as you want and then install as normal.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

That's the odd thing, when I choose that option it appears the whole drive is free, no sign of anything else on it and it tells me if I go ahead and partition any files on the drive will be lost.
Assuming windows was the only OS on the disk and I booted up using a Gparted ISO I would expect to see something but it just crashes out.
What I would like to try is wiping the whole disk and start from scratch, If I install mint (which will wipe my windows OS) is there a simple instruction I can use to wipe the drive and start again.
This is sending me around the bend, I Have successfully installed windows & Linux several times in the past with no problems, easy, Linux detects there is another OS on the hard drive and gives you the opportunity to keep it ending with a menu giving an option of which OS to use.
I made an additional partition using windows manager and named it sd/4 when loading mint I can actually see the sd/4 partition (which of course is empty) and I can actually access the windows files Is there any other way I can install Mint 15 direct into the sd/4 which I can access on the desktop or will that not work.
There is something simple going on here that I just cannot see
Please note I am trying to install both OS on to a single 1TB drive, not sure if that has anything to do with it.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Re: Mint 15 installation issue. SOLVED.

Wiped the hard drive and reinstalled windows 7, in the early stages of the installation there was an option to create additional partitions which I did and this solved the problem.
As you can guess my knowledge of computers is limited but at least this post might just help someone else in this position.
Thinking back to other reinstalls I used Gparted to wipe each partition on the disk prior to reinstalling so I guess that would still leave the partitions intact and thus avoiding the problem I had by just putting a windows disk in which I assume formatted the drive and left a single partition only.
If anyone wants to comment further on this post please do so but remember it's not chit chat so no taking the p***  Smiley
NB: Creating a partition in windows after installing it did not do the trick !
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you destroy a partition, you prevent access to the data in it.
I would suggest that:-
You install W7, then defragment it, remove swap areas and restore points; then shrink it using Windows tools if possible.
Make a note of which partition it is in - probably the first one.
Then custom install Mint and place / and /home and possibly swap in separate (new) partitions - do not touch the Windows partition.
If you like, all the Mint partitions can go in the extended partition.
At no stage do any disk or partition wiping.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 394

Wasn't ( Isn't ? ) there a problem with Gparted not recognising some types of partitions http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1619381&p=10108749#post10108749

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.