Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mint 14/Xfce and it's your fault!

PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Mint 14/Xfce and it's your fault!

Not really Wink
I wanted to experiment with various things, including cloud storage Shocked and found a provider that claimed Linux support (turned out to be Debian based only, though it did partly work with opensuse 12.3 after converting deb to rpm with alien). So, as there is a group here extolling Mint, I thought I'd give it a try - not as easy as I expected Roll_eyes
Firstly, I needed to install into a 3GB partition on a Celeron M353 (630MHz) based system (*eeePC 4G (701) Crazy ), but the first installation attempt failed near the end (opensuse has a "net" install that succeeded first time!). For the second attempt, I put /usr on a SD card and then removed all the non-essentials (Libreoffice, etc) and used the live DVD to move /usr to the 3GB partition - day one complete Roll_eyes
A few days later and I'm now starting with automated network backup (rsync/rsynd to "pull" the data) and remote access; so, be warned, I shall be back for help Cheesy
* I had the eeePC lying around doing nothing and, as it draws 18w running with a fully charged battery (add 10w when charging the battery), it seemed a good system to use for testing Roll_eyes
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
4 REPLIES 4
Waldo
Grafter

Re: Mint 14/Xfce and it's your fault!

Quote from: PeeGee
So, as there is a group here extolling Mint, I thought I'd give it a try - not as easy as I expected Roll_eyes
Firstly, I needed to install into a 3GB partition on a Celeron M353 (630MHz) based system (*eeePC 4G (701) Crazy ), but the first installation attempt failed near the end (opensuse has a "net" install that succeeded first time!). 

Ubuntu has a net install that would likely succeed first time; at that point you could´ve added the Mint repo and added the Minty bits you wanted (for your purposes the differences between Mint & Ubuntu are likely barely noticeable).

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Mint isn't really aimed at the SFF market. I would have done a Debian net install in your instance, or used one of the EEE based clones.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Thanks for the feedback - I'll make a note of your comments for future use. Mint/Xfce is running fairly well, now, so I probably will not look at the other options for a while. I selected Mint hoping it would be less "MS like" than Ubuntu (in the sense of: "We know what you want, but you may mess things up - so we'll hide it from you"), which was the impression I got last time I tried Ubuntu.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Must admit never found Mint to be that way, some of the stuff is aimed at the first time user but not most of it,