Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mint 12 Released

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Mint 12 Released

I see that the actual stable version of Mint 12 has been released http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=86750

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

15 REPLIES 15
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Mint 12 Released

There was a version floating about earlier last week, but it was pulled on Thursday for some further tweaks.
I am still mulling over G3 I may NOT upgrade this time  Undecided (totally unlike me  :D) until G3 gets a bit more stable. (Until I am forced by an app that I want to run that needs G3  :-X)
Let us know how you get on with it.
VileReynard
Hero

It'll be a couple of days at least - Ubuntu seem to have simplified (removed) a number of features.
As far as I can tell, there appears to be no GUI support for groups:-
To add an existing user to an existing group listed, run the command below:
sudo usermod -a -G GROUPNAME USERNAME

Why would they do this - the underlying commands haven't changed for years.
I'm getting more (and more) irritated by new Ubuntu - it isn't just the mess called Unity.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

I think you need to install gnome-system-tools to get the "old" gnome user-admin program back.
Another case of one step forward two back. Crazy
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Some nice tweaks listed <a href="http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=86813">here</a>
VileReynard
Hero

Well - I've done it.
Ubuntu 10.10 gone, Mint 12 in it's place - but it looks like I've got a lot of time to spend configuring things.
Horrible install.
Had to use a CLI to enter a shutdown command the first (and hopefully the last) time.
BTW The signon screen shows users in a white font against a pale grey background.
Took just as long as a Ubuntu "in place" upgrade except I've now got to run some comparisons of the old with the new.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Did you re-format your root partition and use a NEW username for the M12 install (or rename your old home folder first?)
The reason I ask is that I did something similar with it but gave it an existing user (my LMDE user id) to use, and that borked the desktop completely.
I had issues with the RC shutting down but the updates seem to have fixed that.
One of the first tweaks I did on it was to move the spacing of the icons closer together on the task bar, 12px is wayyyyyy to wide, reduce it to 6. (its in the list of tweaks I posted earlier)
VileReynard
Hero

No!
I backed up /home (in two different places), took a copy of /etc
Then I formatted my /boot and / partitions
I created the same users (4 of them) and a group for them to share (basically so I can write files anywhere and everyone else has automatic read only authority).
This required some CLI stuff (including editing my passwd file!)
I have downloaded about 1500MB of packages (in addition to the DVD) - so far.
I basically seem to have serious theme problems - I've changed my wallpaper - but that's it.
Have a look at my fullscreen screen dump - especially the font size!

HairyMcbiker
All Star

If you had added the gnome-system-tools, you would have had the old users & groups dialog back.
BTW for some reason the default font Canterell is not installed, you need to add it.
BTW I don't see what is wrong with the font size  Huh
VileReynard
Hero

That semi-transparent bar across the top has my name in approximately 7.5pt  Grin
I couldn't have used gnome-system-tools because they would sit in my / directory which got formatted (actually I chose to change it from ext3 to ext4).
BTW How do I set up a screen saver - I downloaded all the X-Window screen savers (hundreds of them).

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: A
BTW How do I set up a screen saver - I downloaded all the X-Window screen savers (hundreds of them).

You have to get rid of gnome-screensaver and have good old xscreensaver running instead.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: A
That semi-transparent bar across the top has my name in approximately 7.5pt  Grin
I couldn't have used gnome-system-tools because they would sit in my / directory which got formatted (actually I chose to change it from ext3 to ext4).

Ahh.
Whats wrong with re-installing gnome-syst* I did on my M12 install and have the user-config tool back. They are in Synaptic still.
VileReynard
Hero

Thanks Biker!
It looks like I've finally succeeded in the conversion to Mint; at last!
Setting up the themes (there are many combinations to choose from) was probably the hardest part.
I've done upgrades to Ubuntu in situ for at least the last 6-7 releases.
I think I will do the same with Mint.
I quite like the "sensitive bit" at the top left hand corner to flip between Gnome-2 style and Gnome-3.
Gnome-3 is better for a few things.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Welcome to Mint  Wink
I am now in the situation of having 4 OS's on my main PC to try. (M12 Gnome 3/M11 LMDE LXDE version/M11 Gnome 2/32/Penguy Gnome 3), each with a new user (apart from M11 which is still my default OS.
Try as much as I want to I just can't love G3, The TOTAL lack of customisation of the panel, NO COMPIZ (I like the ring switcher & Cube), that ANNOYING everything view.
I don't want the IM stuff I don't use it, so why is it taking up a large part of my panel? stuff like that.
VileReynard
Hero

Yes - there is a lack of customisation - but that is mostly down to Ubuntu/Gnome.
My top bar is nearly empty; I've had a look into some of the theme files - but the css isn't written in a modular fashion, so you can't just change a line or two.
I had problems using MSGE : I had to include an old Ubuntu Window theme (Gnome 2) to get the "right Ubuntu brown" for my Window headings - see attached screen-shot.
Mint has far too much pale grey on the screen.