More application icons by default
       More accurate search by default
   The Update Manager
       Performance boosts
       Improved dependencies handling
       Better changelog retrieval
       UI improvements
   The Desktop Settings tool
       “Desktop-agnostic”, detection and upcoming compatibility with other desktops
       New setting for the fortunes in the terminal
   Artwork improvements
       Backgrounds, overlay scrollbars, plymouth, Mint-X, search add-on.
   System improvements
       new “apt download” command
       Adobe flash plugins
   Changes in the software selection
For a complete overview and to see screenshots of the new features, visit: “What’s new in Linux Mint 11“.

After trying (and failing) an apt install yesterday, I have done a "clean" install - now to install all my add ons again.
New stuff noticed so far FF 4.01, new themes. EVEN FASTER boot/start-up seems in the 1's of seconds now.
46 REPLIES 46
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Mint 11 released

Its a good release, I downloaded and burned It to a DVD last night and now using It, Its great!!
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Hmm it has the "external" scroll bars - not sure what to make of them yet.
Now got all my ppa's added and my usual stuff loaded to test it out further.  Wink
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I skipped 10 and was going to stick with the LTS but now I have this on my machine Its staying, Between windows seven and Linux Mint I always seem to come back to Linux Mint so Its staying put, I can be such a hopper. Grin
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

A permanent fix (in Ubuntu) for those yucky overlay scrollbars is:-
sudo apt-get remove overlay-scrollbar
log out and in.

This brings back the proper scrollbars. Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star

SO far only niggle is I have no grub menu  Undecided
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Only niggle I have Is that when you rip a CD to banshee It fails to fetch your CD Info from the net!! ( And no I wont set up a last fm account )
VileReynard
Hero

I assume those comments are aimed at Mint?
Development of  Gnome 2 is essentially stopped.
So we are all going to be faced (eventually) with a choice between Gnome 3 and Unity - which isn't really much of a choice.
[edit] Perhaps the following distro is worth considering[/edit]

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: A

Well mine were as that is what I am running now.
As to Gnome 3 in 6 months it will be more "mature" and may have some things we want, at the mo it doesn't.
And I am quite happy with Gnome 2.32 as a desktop - I used to be a KDE fan when I first used Linux (Mandriva) but have gotten used to Gnome - so even if the base doesn't change is that so bad? (Look at how long xp has been around with only ONE WM!)
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: A
Well Windows doesn't come with Banshee by default that's for sure, Mint does though Roll_eyes
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Hehe just reading the blog posts.
May 2011; All the focus was on Linux Mint 11 and it lead to a very nice release. Katya got a formidable echo throughout the community and the decision to stick to Gnome 2.32 didn’t go unnoticed. Our website attracted 14% more people than usual and our user base grew by 10%. This includes people who traditionally switch back to Linux Mint after the stable release, as well as newcomers switching from Mac and Windows, but this time also a lot of unhappy users from other distributions featuring Unity and to a lesser extent Gnome 3. Though it’s nice to see it happen and I hope they get a nice welcome, the main purpose of this decision wasn’t tactical, but rather technical. Mint 11, despite significant regressions (particularly with Compiz), gave us yet another great Gnome desktop and another 6 months to see how things go with the Gnome 3 and GTK3 projects.

My bold.  Wink Cheesy
VileReynard
Hero

unhappy users from other distributions featuring Unity

Mint 11, [...] gave us yet another great Gnome desktop and another 6 months to see how things go with the Gnome 3 and GTK3 projects.

Sounds ominous - is Mint going to imitate using your big monitor as if it were a screen taken off of an old smart-phone?

HairyMcbiker
All Star

No one is forcing you/us to use unity/gnome shell. Maybe the dev's will recognise that we don't WANT mobile type gui's for our desktops before the 6 months are up, or maybe we will move to KDE/XFCE/E18/something else  Wink
BUT it is interesting just how MANY people are leaving Ubuntu since unity was released. 10+% increase in Mint users since April/May Wonder why?  Grin
The idea of one desktop fits all doesn't work at all. Why have a 1280+ screen that works like an 800- screen, Ok at lot of users are only interested in getting work done, but at the same time docks/launchers have been around for years and not everyone uses one - why because we all have different ways of doing things - the Linux way is being different not just being a "number".
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I've always preferred Mint to ooboontoo, It Is Interesting Indeed and completely agree with
The idea of one desktop fits all doesn't work at all
VileReynard
Hero

Quote from: Hairy
BUT it is interesting just how MANY people are leaving Ubuntu since unity was released. 10+% increase in Mint users since April/May Wonder why?  Grin

I don't know the relative proportions, but 10% increase in MINT probably equates to a loss of maybe only 5% or less to Ubuntu.