Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mint 11 & Ubuntu 11.04

Waldo
Grafter

Re: Mint 11 & Ubuntu 11.04

Quote from: Hairy
[...]Ubuntu are sticking with Unuty (my sp!) in 12.04+.  Crazy

Unuty (sic) may be the default but you can replace it with any WM/DE in the repos.
The implementation of Xfce on LMDE - making it look as similar to GNOME2 as possible - is almost enough to convince me Mint is ready to switch to GNOME3
Ellis
Grafter

I may give that a try, when I have some spare time (cutting logs up at present ready for the Winter).
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

I played with LXDE a while ago, it is good for a light system, but I couldn’t get on with Thunar & leafpad as replacements for nautilus & gedit  Wink
I have LMDE Gnome running on my EEE at the mo, a few issues I am having make it unsuitable for my main pc.
Think we should start a petition to get unity renamed to uNutty?  Cheesy (two tt's ot one? Unuty ot Unutty?)
And given the users that have left Ubuntu since unity was issued is significant, it dropped from the top of the charts for months.
As to installing different WM's well not all users are that knowledgeable, I remember trying E17 once and nearly borking my pc  Tongue
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I played with LXDE a while ago, it is good for a light system, but I couldn’t get on with Thunar & leafpad as replacements for nautilus & gedit  Wink

I run openbox but still use nautilus and gedit, and other gnome programs. The gnome 3 versions are much the same, except for the infuriating new find thing in gedit.
I tried XFCE but it seemed to have issues with gtk3 programs from gnome 3, particularly the shrinking terminal problem, which made gnome terminal unusable. Gnome terminal and XFCE terminal are pretty much identical except XFCE terminal doesn't have profiles, so you can't have colour coded terminal windows for different things.
Ellis
Grafter

I've tried to install Mint LMDE but it keeps asking for root partition, I've tried all ways, even formatting the HDD but no avail. I think I might install Fedora and see how that goes.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

When I installed it I just selected the hdd I wanted and Right clicked on the partition marking it as / Then the home one as /home.
Ellis
Grafter

Hi HB, I've tried that and it works. However I'm not happy with the Mint variations and I am staying with U v10.04. Hoping that v11.10 or 12.04 will be easier to use. I'm actually finding it more difficult to change from Gnome to Unity than I did from Windows to Gnome.
Waldo
Grafter

I'd agree as far as Leafpad goes; I guess Clem does too as Gedit is the default on Xfce. On smaller screens in particular I prefer MEdit; I like being able to open a terminal within the editor window.
And given the users that have left Ubuntu since unity was issued is significant, it dropped from the top of the charts for months.

What did it do to get back on top?
As to installing different WM's well not all users are that knowledgeable, I remember trying E17 once and nearly borking my pc  Tongue

Think of it as a learning exercise  Grin
The Ubuntu forums and wikis are supposed to be good for helping out with things like that.
Waldo
Grafter

I tried XFCE but it seemed to have issues with gtk3 programs from gnome 3, particularly the shrinking terminal problem,

Grin Grin The novelty of the shrinking terminal hasn't worn off for me yet; i generally use GNOME3 on my Arch system now only occasionally logging into Xfce or Fluxbox.
I found GNOME-terminal worked okay on Xfce if I had three or more tabs opened. GTK3-based Nautilus and eog seem to work fine under Xfce.
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: Ellis
Hoping that v11.10 or 12.04 will be easier to use. I'm actually finding it more difficult to change from Gnome to Unity than I did from Windows to Gnome.

Ubuntu 11.04 will have GNOME3 in the repos; might be worth giving the fallback mode on 3.2 a try - it offers something GNOME2-ish for those who don't like GNOME-Shell. 
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: Waldo
What did it do to get back on top?

Wasn't aware it was back on top ? Haven't checked for a while- not really that bothered what everybody else is downloading.  Wink
The Ubuntu forums and wikis are supposed to be good for helping out with things like that.

Thats fine IF you have a working machine to access them  Tongue I didn't  Cry
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Will Mint 12 have a sensible GUI ?
I'm holding off dumping Ubuntu until I get a clue about where Mint is going...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Waldo
Grafter

Thats fine IF you have a working machine to access them  Tongue I didn't  Cry

I'm not going to ask how installing a window manager borked your networking and VTs  Shocked
Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: A
Will Mint 12 have a sensible GUI ?

Last I read on the Mint blog no decision has been taken yet:
R&D started on Gnome 3. Although the new desktop is extremely different than what we’re aiming for, it looks extremely promising from a technical point of view and easy to modify and improve upon. We’re planning to do some R&D on Gnome 2 as well in order to assess the work involved in maintaining it within Linux Mint. Of course, all you probably want to know is whether Mint 12 will come with Gnome 3, Gnome 2 or something else.. and I’m afraid you’ll need to wait a little more before we can tell you for sure. At this stage it might go either way, or it’s possible we might support both versions of Gnome going forward. We’re aware of what the community wants, we’ve got a precise idea of what we want to achieve, and based on the technicalities, and confidence we have in these two technologies, not only now, but for the future, we’ll take our time and make the right decision.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I think it is likely to have a sensible GUI. That is what Mint is about. They have seen the droves of people leaving Ubuntu after the unutty débâcle, and don't want to do that. IF they go Gnome 3 it will probably be with a standard desktop layout, not the panel (or whatever it is called).
That has been the f/b on the forums since unutty was released (in beta) and we didn't want a phone interface, we wanted a familiar one.
@Waldo it managed to give me a boot loop, and at the time I wasn't knowledgeable about the cli to fix it. (remove the package etc)