Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mint 11 & Ubuntu 11.04

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Mint 11 & Ubuntu 11.04

Installed Mint 11 on one machine with no problem at all, works like a dream and am well impressed.
By way of experiment installed Ubuntu 11.04 on another machine and it was an absolute nightmare of an experience, mouse pointer freezing up, error messages whilst trying to get basic updates etc. If this had been my first experience of Linux I would have left it well alone.
Deleted Ubuntu and installed Mint 11 in it's place and everything works perfectly so as a newbie to Linux I will forget about using any other distros and stick to Mint.
The only thing I can't get it to do is recognise my Epson 2480 Scanner despite downloading the appropriate file from the Epson website.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
43 REPLIES 43
Waldo
Grafter

Re: Mint 11 & Ubuntu 11.04

Quote from: gleneagles
The only thing I can't get it to do is recognise my Epson 2480 Scanner despite downloading the appropriate file from the Epson website.

Does this help (not sure it's the same scanner)?
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Interesting that you had such issues with Ubuntu yet Mint works fine on the same machine. I moved from Ubuntu about 3 years ago due to an obscure bug causing my dvd drive to close after opening it, made removing dvd's difficult  Roll_eyes Wink Mint never had any issues on the same machine, I look at other disto's when I get my monthly Linux Format mag but still stay with Mint as it does everything I need from it. Now have LMDE on my EEE to play with so far ok. (only been about a week or so)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Is there any problem installing Mint onto a machine with a separate Ubuntu /home - since my /home contains my various program preferences etc?
Furthermore, since I have several user accounts + a couple of user defined groups how do I set up my UID's and GID's properly.
(I can edit my passwd file, but not (effectively) my shadow passwd file).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HairyMcbiker
All Star

What you want 2 home partitions? or do you want
1. Ubuntu
2. home
3. Mint
with a shared home?
You could setup a shared ./home and create a NEW user id eg. Minty Fox to use it saving your existing home folder for Ubuntu etc. Any pref's you want can be COPIED from your existing /home/fox user.
VileReynard
Hero

I want to keep my Ubuntu created /home but replace the rest of the system with Mint (in the distant future).
I shall want to delete Ubuntu because they want to turn my desktop into a mobile phone screen.
So I want to overwrite things like /boot, /usr, /etc, /var... with the Mint equivalents.
I don't want to change my user name - I'd like to retain it, so it is the same on all my PC's - the whole idea is that Mint looks like the standard "old-fashioned" Ubuntu screen.
Some of my scripts have names hard-coded.
Obviously, I shall need to rebuild things like /usr/local, /var/log, anacron scripts, miscellaneous scripts, cron files, /etc/hosts, /etc/fstab...

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Waldo
Quote from: gleneagles

Does this help (not sure it's the same scanner)?

Great stuff, many thanks for the link.
This solved the problem.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: A
So I want to overwrite things like /boot, /usr, /etc, /var... with the Mint equivalents.
I don't want to change my user name
Obviously, I shall need to rebuild things like /usr/local, /var/log, anacron scripts, miscellaneous scripts, cron files, /etc/hosts, /etc/fstab...

Ok you can't Mintalise the Ubuntu install. What you can do is make a list of all the programs you have installed. (You can use dpkg for this or download the Mint-Backup program and use it to build a list) and keep a copy of your essential bits, etc/fsta etc/exports etc, and any config files in etc/default you may need (or just copy the entire /etc folder which I tend to do) & any ppa's you use
Then you can install Mint OVER the Ubuntu install retaining the /home partition (it is in its OWN partition isn't it?)
As long as you do a CUSTOM install and choose the home partition as the /home & use the same user name it will install with the same home folder.
You can then install your program again using either Synaptic or dpkg (or the Mint-Backup program) using the list as a base. (After reinstalling the ppa's again)
I tend to use the Mint-Backup and edit what will be restored because it is a list of EVERYTHING including the OS programs you probably don't need any more,
VileReynard
Hero

Yes - it is a separate partition for /home
It looks like it won't be too much of a problem.  Smiley
BTW - I do run a root cron job that records what packages I have:-
#!/bin/sh
# See issue 40 of full circle
[ -x /usr/bin/dpkg ] || exit 0
dpkg --get-selections "*" > /etc/installed.txt

Waldo
Grafter

Quote from: A
I want to keep my Ubuntu created /home but replace the rest of the system with Mint (in the distant future).
I shall want to delete Ubuntu because they want to turn my desktop into a mobile phone screen.
[...] the whole idea is that Mint looks like the standard "old-fashioned" Ubuntu screen.

Am I right in thinking 'Mint looks like the standard "old-fashioned" Ubuntu screen' because it's using GNOME2?
Are you expecting Mint to be still using GNOME2 'in the distant future'?
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: Waldo
Am I right in thinking 'Mint looks like the standard "old-fashioned" Ubuntu screen' because it's using GNOME2?

Yes it uses Gnome 2.32
Are you expecting Mint to be still using GNOME2 'in the distant future'?

It is still open to debate at the moment what desktop will be used, so far the only looser is Unity <spit>
Also I read recently that Gnome 2.3 was split so a new branch will still be in development for user who prefer the "old fashioned" desktop.
VileReynard
Hero

It is a problem.
Whilst Gnome 2.3 is to be supported for "a long time" (by Gnome), Gnome 3.x has already emerged.
Unfortunately, Gnome 3.x has got a Unity-like appearance (although it is functionally different).
If it ain't broke down fix it.

Ellis
Grafter

I'm fed up with trying out the various options, so I am going to sit back with Ubuntu v10.04 LTS until it gets sorted. I even toyed with going over to Fedora (at least it recognises my wifi, Broadcom 43x which Ubuntu and Mint don't).
HairyMcbiker
All Star

I don't think it will "get fixed" as even M$ is going to a phone interface (see win8), & Ubuntu are sticking with Unuty (my sp!) in 12.04+.  Crazy
Sheep come to mind here  Cry
Ellis
Grafter

Looks like I shall have to carefully store my v10.04 LTS. I may have a sort around with various other distro's. That's one advantage of having a spare laptop.