Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mini PCi not working

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Mini PCi not working

Finally got around to fitting a Mini PCI card to my laptop, as I didnt like the PC card sticking out of the side  Roll_eyes
Fitted Ok, antenna, white to main, black to Aux.  Windows recogises the adapter, and I installed the drivers with no problems.  Issue is, when I use the switch on the side of the laptop to activate wireless networking, nothing happens. Checked everything I can think of, all properties pages say the radio is active, but nothing happens, just get the red X next to the adapter in the taskbar. The adapter is recognised fine by windows, just dosnt appear to want to switch on.  Nothing in the BIOS to suggest an option to disable either. I suspect this is a MOBO issue, and I cant be arsed to dismantle the damn laptop again,( this is a recently fitted MOBO) so I am resigned to the fact I have lost a tenner, and go back to the PC card, but just wondered if anyone had any bright ideas?Huh
8 REPLIES 8
samuria
Grafter

Re: Mini PCi not working

Assuming the card is working enable the wireless before you boot up.
If it has a cross in the icon either its disabled or the drivers are wrong if you right click the icon can you enable it.
Is it showing up ok in device manager?
There is normally some util that comes with the cards that you use to search for networks and adjust the card make sure you use this not windows as often windows cant see it if its third party.
Try stopping the windows wireless zero configuration service as that often causes problems.
Have you got another network device on the pc if so try disabling that
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the suggestions...
Tried switching on the wireless before booting etc, nothing.
There is a red cross on the icon, tried everything I can think of to enable it. Tried a couple of drivers for the atheros chipset, still nothing. Reset the Winsock keys as well, still nothing.  It shows up OK in device manager, and the utility you mentioned, just says radio disabled, but in the devices properties, the radio is enabled.  I suspect no power is getting to the unit, as the light next to the wireless switch does not light up either.  Can anyone think of anything else.  Tried searching the Toshiba forums, and come up with nothing.
samuria
Grafter

If the wireless light isnt on it could be a hardware fault. Try removing it from device manager and see if it find sit after a reboot. Try downloading netstumbler free from http://www.netstumbler.com/ and see if that sees the card sometimes this util kick them into life.
What properties can you set for it? Getting the right drivers is half the battle as if you have the wrong drivers it wont work.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the advice samuria.
I am pretty sure that I have the correct device Drivers, tried 3 different ones for the atheros chipset it has. Removing from device manager was one of the 1sgt things I tried to see if Windows would redetect, no joy....  Netstumbler did nothing, thanks anyway.  Setup wise, can switch the radio on and off in its properties, but its on. Tried setting to off, rebooting, and setting to on then rebooting, nothing. Its the light for the WLAN that dosnt come on next to the switch that makes me suspect a hardware issue, maybe with the switch itself, as its never been used before.  Anyhow, after uninstalling, the system started behaving rather oddly, so much so, I decided to wipe it clean and reinstall, and use the PC card adapter, thats works perfectly.  If you have any other ideas I would be glad to hear, but I think I will try to sell the adaper on fleabay, as it appears to work, or windows seems to accept it.
Cheers
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Just a thought.... I`m not that technically minded, but... you mentioned that you think it might be a hardware fault.... i..e. "that makes me suspect a hardware issue, maybe with the switch itself, as its never been used before."
If you have access to a multi-meter, and could find the switch wiring connections to the mobo, is it possible to check for continuous / break of circuit across the switch contacts, when you operate the switch..?
At least if you could do that, it would identify positive or negative result on the switch.....
samuria
Grafter

Its not one of these silly  adapters that you have to bridge it to get it and the lan to worK. I have come across a few and couldnt get them to work then if you bridge it it all comes to life. You select it in the network folder hold down shift or it could be control and select another device and right click then bridge.
Its a bit since I have done it and they are silly as it doesn't mention it in the instructions but in the network connections there is normally another strange connections which wasnt there before and thats the one to bridge to
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for advice guys.  Tried everything and more, just isnt working. Probably a hardware fault with the switch, and TBH, as the PC card works, not worth dismantling system, just for that. 
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Chaps
Went onto the toshiba support forums, and found something useful, which I thought I would share. It seems there is an issue on some cards with pin13, whcih is used as a switching pin. If you tape over this pin at should work.  I will try this and post back, but thought I would repay the kind help.
http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-18046-Toshiba-Satellite-1135S1552-WiFi-Networking-Problem.h...
Might help others