cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migration of Madasafish email to Plusnet servers

6string
Dabbler

Migration of Madasafish email to Plusnet servers

I read Bob Pullen's post of Last November with interest. His posts are always succinct and accurate. This one on the PUG was about, inter alia,  migrating Madasafish email to Plusnet servers.
The last part of the consolidation work will be to move the Madasafish email platform to the Plusnet network, allowing us to retire another 33 servers in the process. The timescales for this work are yet to be decided but will be communicated in full nearer the time.

For many years I have kept and paid for an email address with Globalnet which was my first ever ISP because when Plusnet's email platform went down I was able to maintain my business email through them. It's a shame to have to pay for two but there you go. I am due to renew the email address at Globalnet (now Madasafish) and before I spend £20 doing so wanted to find out if I was wasting my money. IE If Globalnet servers=Madasafish servers=Plusnet servers, was I going to be paying twice for the same thing and if it didn't work at Plusnet presumably it wouldn't work at Globalnet. I raised a ticket at Plusnet but was told they didn't know and I should ask Madasafish. A bit surprising but I did raise another  ticket as suggested and got this reply
Thank you for your reply. Currently we are still using the same email server configuration. The servers are always being updated but we cannot guarantee that it will always be fault free. As an example, if there is a power outage, the email service will be down until power is restored.

It partly answers my question but not wholly. I don't expect anyone to guarantee their email programme will be fault free, nice as that would be, and unfortunately I have to pay my £20 for my Globalnet email address in one payment, so I can't opt out during the year. What I really wanted to know was when the platform is migrated  will it  negate the benefit of having an address with Globalnet as well as Plusnet.
If Bob is reading this post I would welcome his comments.
3 REPLIES 3
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Migration of Madasafish email to Plusnet servers

Hi there,
It's difficult to give a definitive answer for this but you're right in assuming that the there will be a lot more in common following the consolidation. The same outbound and inbound mail delivery platforms will be used for both brands. MAAF Webmail with continue to be based on Prayer and Plusnet SquirrelMail but eventually we want to get both onto Roundcube.
Without going into too much detail, you'd be losing most of what makes your setup resilient  so I would probably suggest that you don't renew your Globalnet subscription.
Come to think of it, depending on your circumstances you can probably retain the Global email address by downgrading it to a non subscription account. If you PM me the details of both of your accounts then I'll look into it further. I also want to check who at Plusnet told you to call Madasafish as for all intents and purposes we're the same entity.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

6string
Dabbler

Hi Bob,
Many thanks for the quick reply. I have to make a business call, snow willing, but should be back by mid afternoon. I'll pm you with the details of the two service tickets and the email details.
vertue

Bob, I am in much the same situation.  Have had a Globalnet account address since the word dot and I think I'm still paying a lot more than £20 for it.  My biggest issue is that I can't seem to get it registered with IMAP so consequently now we all have various devices i have emails (generally the same ones) coming in everywhere so spend my life deleting read emails.  Anything I can do or should I just go with Gmail or someone.  I have most Apple devices although have a PC at work.  Iphone is on vodafone if that has any bearing.