cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating from Be Unlimited (phone + broadband)

Aidy

Migrating from Be Unlimited (phone + broadband)

Hello!
I hope this is the right place to post this. Apologies if not (it didn't seem to fit into any of the other forums).
I'm trying to migrate from Be Unlimited to Plusnet's fibre service.
Both my phone and broadband are provided by Be Unlimited.
Be have advised me that Plusnet need to migrate both phone and broadband simultaneously.
Plusnet's migration plan (as given on various of their webpages) seems to be that they'll migrate broadband first, followed by the phoneline within 11 working days.
Be have said that this is doomed to failure and that I'll lose service and have to pay a new line installation fee to regain service.
Plusnet have given me conflicting advice, on one hand they said that Be are completely wrong and that migrating broadband first, then phone will be fine. On the other hand they've said that they'll migrate both at the same time (Be have said that they've not received a migration request for the phone line, so this is unlikely). Seems to depend on which CS agent I get as to what the response is.
Suffice to say I'm pretty confused.
Anyone been in a similar boat, and have any advice?
Thanks Smiley
11 REPLIES 11
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Migrating from Be Unlimited (phone + broadband)

Quite a few examples on here of that going wrong, generally when BT mess up the fibre provisioning and it's delayed.
Be obviously (as you will know) do not supply a phone line without broadband as broadband is their primary business. BUT they will normally allow a 30-day "grace period" where the phone continues when the broadband moves elsewhere. You will need to talk to them to ensure that happens if its needed.
The OBVIOUS SAFE way to do it, and PlusNet staff have confirmed here that they CAN AND WILL do this, is to migrate the phone (and JUST the phone) first.
And another additional step to ensure safety is to move to PlusNet ADSL first, then Fibre later once both phone and broadband have migrated.
Aidy

Thanks for the reply Smiley
So, Be's concerns are valid? Be seem to be insinuating that as soon as I no longer have broadband with them, they'll disconnect the phone line, and at that point I'll have neither phone nor broadband. There's been no mention of a grace period to migrate. I've tried explaining that Plusnet intend to migrate the phone line within 11 working days (and ensured that my contract ran beyond this time) - but they've been insistent that a disconnect will happen regardless.
Plusnet are being a bit cagey on the subject. It's pretty frustrating. I've been chasing for a solid answer for the past week.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: Aidy
Be seem to be insinuating that as soon as I no longer have broadband with them, they'll disconnect the phone line, and at that point I'll have neither phone nor broadband. There's been no mention of a grace period to migrate.

I think the problem is that this is all quite new and they don't all really know, what with the Sky takeover etc. and the automatic messages from Be's systems are a bit inaccurate/ misleading and can be downright scary!
If you WANT a 30-day grace period be sure to ask for it, otherwise they will "probably/possibly" automatically cancel your phone line.
BUT I'd choose another way that avoids that risk, especially if you want to keep your number.  Wink PlusNet CAN take the phone line first and this is much safer.  Cool
Aidy

Thanks again Smiley
I've no particular attachment to the phone number, I'm just keen to minimise disruption to my broadband service Smiley
I'll get on to plusnet and see if they'll migrate my phone line first.
I was keen to have an early a fibre install date as possible (it's a week Tuesday :)), but I'm keener to not be without service.
HPsauce
Pro

I'm just keen to minimise disruption to my broadband service Smiley

Some people, who were also keen to save money, gave Be notice based on the "promised" install dates from PN.
When there were delays, especially related to fibre installs, they ended up in a "black hole" with no service.
Some (wrongly) blamed Be or PN or both, when it was really their own optimism that BT can and will install stuff to an agreed schedule and are never late.  Roll_eyes
Aidy

Oh, and if anyone from Plusnet reads this and would like to look after it, I'd be very grateful Smiley
I'm a bit fed up of being passed around different CS agents who don't seem to fully understand the issue and who give conflicting advice.
Aidy

Quote from: HPsauce
I'm just keen to minimise disruption to my broadband service Smiley

Some people, who were also keen to save money, gave Be notice based on the "promised" install dates from PN.
When there were delays, especially related to fibre installs, they ended up in a "black hole" with no service.
Some (wrongly) blamed Be or PN or both, when it was really their own optimism that BT can and will install stuff to an agreed schedule and are never late.  Roll_eyes

Well... I allowed 15 days grace, I figured that should be enough - had to give Be some sort of end date.
Aidy

I'm a bit fed up of being passed around different CS agents who don't seem to fully understand the issue and who give conflicting advice.

That said, I'd pretty much settle for one of them actually bothering to reply to me...
Aidy

That said, I'd pretty much settle for one of them actually bothering to reply to me...

Argh. And now that they have, they've completely missed the point. Sad
Aidy

Argh. And now that they have, they've completely missed the point. Sad

Calling them (after spending 30-40 minutes on hold) seemed more fruitful. Plusnet will now be performing a simultaneous provide. (according to them, taking the phone line first, followed by the broadband wouldn't work).
Aidy

Everything seems to have worked out in the end Smiley
Lost my phone number in the process (plusnet did advise of this beforehand), but I wasn't particularly attached to it.