cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft word - auto inset

bob27
Dabbler

Microsoft word - auto inset

Can anyone tell me how to stop my word program from insetting (or is it tabbing?) every line.
I'm using Word 2003. I write  a letter, say, and allow the program to wrap text as normal (in other words I don't press ENTER) but instead of going to the start of a line the program starts the next line with an inset. I've looked all over the tools 'options' but can't find anything relating to stopping this automatic inset.
No doubt one of you geeks can tell me some easy process I am missing but nevermind I don't mind appearing stupid - I just want to stop it !
2 REPLIES 2
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Microsoft word - auto inset

Click on View then tick ruler and it will look something like this picture
Note the position of the circled tabs and the style
I assume that your normal template has got messed up
This is one way to change it in Word 2003 choose Format  Styles and Formatting, right-click the Normal item in the Styles and Formatting pane, click the Modify button, and work in the Modify Style dialog box as per the second picture - don't forget to tick - add to template and don't tick automatically update
bob27
Dabbler

Re: Microsoft word - auto inset

Thanks very much Oldjim. I had a bit of a struggle understanding but that was mainly because I didn't
properly read your two 'cropimages'. Alls well however and back to normal (I think!)
The problem was entirely that - somehow - I had managed to put in a normal+ 2 cm hanging tab.