Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft verification code

FIXED
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Microsoft verification code

This appeared in my email.....Just that shown in the title followed by a 6 digit code...

Never use or have used Microsoft on line, only ever used Linux on line.

Email was showing when using iPad...

Intend to ignore it....A few posts about it online but opinions seem mixed....

Any opinions or advice.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
9 REPLIES 9
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: Microsoft verification code

Do you have a Microsoft account? Microsoft require then when you set up a new laptop with W10 or for other software so that you can reload software etc. If so then this could be a warning that someone has tried to access your account using the wrong details and that you should consider changing your password.

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Just to let you know,

I've been having the same problems with the good old Microsoft activation servers (i.e. not working) today, my Office 365 on the Mac treating me like I'm a Sun reader (actually I take that back, I'll even go as far as The Daily Star or Sunday Sport) and nagging me to keep activating. Even though I have a valid subscription.

I had Word moan it has not been activated, then does the fun and games of disabling Save and Create New Document. Excel worked. Then the software will change rotas and Excel will nag and Word shuts up for a bit. Not funny when I am trying to trying to save work.

Getting right on my nerves (think of more sweary version of that), and they wonder why people use workarounds (also better not say what that means before the PC Brigade tell me off).

Sorry for moaning (I am at least good at that if nothing else), but I have been having problems today as well.

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

@jgb wrote:

Do you have a Microsoft account? Microsoft require then when you set up a new laptop with W10 or for other software so that you can reload software etc. If so then this could be a warning that someone has tried to access your account using the wrong details and that you should consider changing your password.

No Microsoft account, never had one, never needed one.

Never updated or connected windows to the internet.

Alex
Community Veteran

Hi @gleneagles I assume you already have checked, but do the e-mail headers look legit, plus any links present in the mail?

As I said on another thread (before it got deleted) it appears their activation servers have been playing up. I have had this problem with office yesterday. 

gleneagles
Aspiring Legend

Fix

Just deleted it....

Will mark it as fixed......unless it comes up again.

daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

@jgb

Actually, Windows 10 install does not require an MS account. What it does do is force you to turn off the requirement for each optional feature step by step, so that you have to stay alert.

Dave

jgb
Champion

@daveplus Sorry, my poor language, should have said "ask"!

Alex
Community Veteran

On Monday, I got a text claiming to be from Halifax. I don't even have a Halifax account, with some link.

Didn't know they are moving to text now. The only reason I took it with a slight pinch of salt was I believe my mother had one. I will make some enquiries, but pretty much assumed it is a scam.

There was that and I noticed pyramid system selling going around on Facebook yesterday. Yes I have an idea of what it is, and it is a scam. I was just (ok read that as very) bored.

As I am (ashamed to admit to be that desparate) to look that kind of stuff up, I must be very bored.

I need to get out more, well at least I would if I could.

jgb
Champion

@Alex There have been a number of text scams purporting to be from various banks, including the Halifax, recently. Many say that there has been some suspicious activity on your account and to use the included link (which goes to the scammers fraudulent website) to verify or check the transaction. The giveaway can very well be that you do not have an account with the particular bank. 

In any case no bank would contact you via text on such a matter.