Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft updates messed up Office 2003 - warning

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Microsoft updates messed up Office 2003 - warning

First post -  Grin
I am running Office 2003 and I needed to open an Open Office .odt file.
So I installed this addon http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=169337&package_id=200089 to allow me to open it.
It actually installed an Office 2007 module which worked fine until Microsoft autoupdate installed these security updates and it totally messed up Word and Excel in 2003
4 REPLIES 4
randpwar
Grafter

Re: Microsoft updates messed up Office 2003 - warning

Probably sticking my nose in here where I don’t have the knowledge to justify it but, from your link go Tracker > Known Issues. Might be something useful there for you. I tried to put a link to the correct page but kept crashing my pc on launching it!!  Sad Embarrassed
Hope it helps
Rob
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Good suggestion - there is nothing under tracker but in the help forum the top post complained about the Office 2007 updates and got a very dusty response
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=2313424&forum_id=579284
It looks to me as if they aren't particularly interested in understanding the problem.
For me it is easy - I will just block all Office 2007 updates
Further checks - in order for it to work it needs the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack for Word, Excel, and PowerPoint 2007 File Formats which then catches the Office 2007 updates.
I know this as uninstalling the compatibility pack stopped it working so I had to reinstall it.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

I never bother with the updates myself. They're more trouble than they're worth and frequently put a user through 'dependancy hell'. Frankly it isn't worth the greif it causes. XP with SP2 installed is what I run and thats it. Nothing else ever gets updated.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
techguy
Grafter

Not running the updates does leave your system rather exposed.
Am all for open source but just needs to be widely adopted and as MS won't reveal everything its gotta be one helluva task to write converters for proprietary products so they probably won't start looking into problems soon after the project is released.