cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft suspends Win 7/8.1 updates for new generation processors.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Microsoft suspends Win 7/8.1 updates for new generation processors.

I'm here!
OK Mint has Libre Office and has had for several years.
Both your printers are supported by HP on Linux, so no issues there.
A complete install of Mint 18, I would give ~25Gb to / and as much as you think you need for /home.I always recommend using a separate /home partition (its easier that it sounds when you install, you just choose custom and select the partition names & sizes) to make upgrading/migrating easier.

But 1st off just download an image of Mint 18, Mate if you want a windows type gui or cinnamon if you have a reasonable video card and want the bells and whistles. Put it on a usb drive and play with it. You will be able to print/scan surf etc from the usb boot.
colintivy
Rising Star

@HairyMcbiker

Thanks for putting in an appearance! I am in good company!!

Your welcome assurance about Libre Office having both editions. I use the Windows version now but will end up with Linux version  I was aware that HP look benevolently on Linux pretty widely, thanks for confirming that. 

I anticipate picking up a reconditioned tower as mentioned to shutter. I intend to replicate my laptop set-up in it. So I anticipate that I will have to face Win10 with a genuine M$ Win 7Pro DVD if I can get one. I seem to remember that the Key DVD also was needed to register ownership with M$. Would this have to be connected with the install disk?  This could be difficult. I cannot remember how I got on with the laptop in this matter because the OS was already loaded.

When I get down to Mint18, I have a live DVD (c/o Linux Format) which lets me go for Cinnamon or Mate as I wish.

No doubt I will hold my hand up indue course if things get out of hand!!

Thumbs_Up  Thumbs_Up

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@colintivyWhen you get the Win 7 Pro dvd from the ebay seller, there should be a little strip of paper with a barcode and the "key" series number .

colintivy
Rising Star

@shutter

Ta! I will investigate to see what is available.

@HairyMcbiker

I have a couple of HD Caddies, one with over 400GB SATA to play with!!

Work nearly in hand.

Smiley6600

colintivy
Rising Star

@Anonymous

@HairyMcbiker

Hi Folks!

Shutter knows, in a different post, that I expect to have a recon lenovo M91p i5 - 2500 2.30Ghz Quad Core with Win 7 Pro  installed on Tuesday. That short circuits the need for another M$ disc. I have read the FOSS reference which looks like good advice. I will be using the Linux Format DVD with Mint 18 (both desktops) as I am not sure right now which software the laptop has. We shall see after I have checked out the new machine. No doubt the questions will arise.

Thumbs_Up

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

With that spec. the cinnamon desktop would be great on it.