cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft suspends Win 7/8.1 updates for new generation processors.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Microsoft suspends Win 7/8.1 updates for new generation processors.

This is a very interesting article on Toms Hardware. Here's the opening paragraph...

Microsoft suspended updates for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users with Intel's 7th generation (Kaby Lake) processors, AMD's 7th generation (Bristol Ridge) processors, and Qualcomm's 8996 processor or newer. The company said before that it wouldn't release new drivers for older Windows versions to support new hardware, but now it's stopped Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users with these new CPUs from scanning or downloading from Windows Update.

Whatever next!

20 REPLIES 20
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Microsoft suspends Win 7/8.1 updates for new generation processors.

Probably disabling all Windows machines not running the latest build of W10 - which would scupper a large majority of commercial installations.WinkKnuppel

John
colintivy
Rising Star

More reason to go down the Linux path I suggest! Mint Cinnamon/Mate 18 has just arrived!

Thumbs_Up

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

@Anonymous yes i was reading this the other day http://www.techspot.com/news/68553-microsoft-now-blocks-windows-7-81-updates-kaby.html

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's all a bit underhand if you ask me, fair enough with Windows 7 but the end of life for 8.1 is sometime next year. All done of course so they can push Windows 10 collect all your private data, push ads your way and sell your data on to recover the development costs.

30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Is this to force as many as possible down the DRM route ?

Anonymous
Not applicable

To be honest @30FTTC06, I don't know about that but I do know there's money in data, data about people that's collected by MS and sold to third party vendors. If you've got Windows 10 have a look at the Privacy App and all the various options there and read what it says, it really is quite scary.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

Well thats just convinced me even more that i'm not touching Win10!

I'm not having them trawl through my documents and then selling on what they've learned about me including my address. Stuff that.

I'll stick with 7 for the foreseeable future. No idea how this will play out over time though as it'll get harder to live with 7 in a decade or so. I suspect like many i'll end up following the linux route or encrypting my files but even then once decrypted they can be scanned.. by whatever is trawling through the files so thats not ideal either.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

This was also flagged up on the Daily Express site... however,... in some respects it is a bit of a "harum scarum" item  trying to scare people with Windows 7 and 8 to upgrade to Win 10..  the key phrase in this report is this..

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

users with Intel's 7th generation (Kaby Lake) processors, AMD's 7th generation (Bristol Ridge) processors, and Qualcomm's 8996 processor or newer.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Which, if you are still running a machine with "old" processors, to my mind, they are not affected, and MIcrosoft will still be updating as normal... ( until, of course, they decide otherwise, or the Win 7 and Win 8 expiry dates arrive )..

colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Folks!

I have been looking for a tower as a sister for my lenovo Win7Pro laptop for some time and now see the cheap-end market, that has been offering refurbished machines with Win7 at sensible prices, are now only offering them with only Win10 installed. This seems to be a result of M$ telling industry not to sell anything with Win7 installed. This causes me to reconsider what I should do.

I have now looked at Win10 (don't know which edition is on offer) and am appalled by the complexity of it compared with Win7. I would have liked to duplicate the set up of the laptop in a new machine with the ultimate objective of going fully Mint 18 and getting rid of M$ rubbish.on both.machines. I did this when I tried Ubuntu years ago  which was mostly successful but the processor in the HP laptop's processor went bananas eventually and I went back to M$ in the lenovo.

Do you think that installing Mint from a live disc on each machine in suitable partitions with the existing M$ partitions still in place but to be deleted when the Linux is all working properly?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@colintivy, I'd say go for it, getting rid of MS is a good idea so this may help you achieve that goal.

https://itsfoss.com/guide-install-linux-mint-16-dual-boot-windows/

shutter
Community Veteran

@colintivy   It seems you already know about how to use Linux, and Mint is reasonably easy to get along with.!..  so long as you can manage with the "alternative" programs (apps) that are on offer for the windows versions that don`t work in WINE. I agree with @Anonymous

I have tried Mint from version 8.. to present 17, and it is only because a couple of progs that I do use a lot, that don`t work , and haven`t got a "like for like" equivalent.. ( i.e. it needs two or three separate apps to do the same job as one in windows )... that I haven`t gone over to Mint.

I bought a couple of DVD Window 7 Professional, from an Ebay seller,... which I then put onto new HDD`s in my laptops...   they work fine... so  that could be another route for you.... i.e. remove or reformat the Win 10 HDD`s and put a clean copy of Win 7 Pro on ...  Yeah... there are about 200 updates to do... but that will only take about a week, if all goes well ! ! ... Win 7 Pro, is preferred to any other version, because it has the longest "support end date".. ( apparently ).

colintivy
Rising Star

@shutter

Thanks for your kind words. It sounds good to try to get, like you, a Win7 Pro disk, if eBay still lists them. Then If I get a machine with only Win10 in it I ought to be able to dual up with a Win 7, then if I get that working I can just junk the Win 10. Then I should pinch some more of the original partition freed up to to install the Mint using Ext4.

Have you any idea of what the Mint repositories contain for the usual Office stuff etc., I am using Libre Office now and expect it will be there. I have two current HP Printers Envy 5540 and Officejet 6100, will suitable drivers for them be available do you think ? My present lenovo Laptop E535 HD has Its main partition of 446GB with only 87GB used to run Win7 which is plenty of space to muck about with.

shutter
Community Veteran

@colintivy  I am no expert on Mint...( as @HairyMcbiker will testify!) and there are many more qualified to answer your queries.

however, on a personal note...  The Windows 7Professional disc that I got, was used as a "new install" over the Windows 8.1 that was installed on my current HDD in this laptop...  You have the option when running the Live disc for Mint, from a desktop Icon, to "Install Mint"... then you go through the processes, and have the option to make the hdd a partitioned install with Windows.. so you can indeed dual boot..

Perhaps this would be a way, of , over a period of time, replacing whatever you need from the Windows 10  file system to the Linux Mint system,..

Libre Office has a rival called Open Office, and they both work pretty much the same... so yes, you will get Open Office in your Mint install from the Live Disc,

As for drivers... my answer to that, from reading on earlier Linux forums, is that generally Linux is pretty good with drivers for older equipment.. 

@HairyMcbiker will no doubt point you in the right direction , as he has helped me many times with (probably) simple problems that I have had over the years ! ! ...

just had a quick look on ebay.... and there seems to be plenty of dvd`s available upwards of £10.00   .. However, it would be a good idea, to confirm with the seller, that the item he is showing on the sales page, IS in fact, an ACTUAL DVD of the Windows 7 Professional Operating System... as many are showing pics of that, but are just selling a "key"...

Also you need to decide on a 64 bit or 32 bit .. depending on your machine system.

colintivy
Rising Star

@shutter

Big thanks for that you have been very useful. No doubt HairyMcB will pop up in due course.

Smiley6600