Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft heads “To the Cloud!” to destroy Windows 8 piracy

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Microsoft heads “To the Cloud!” to destroy Windows 8 piracy

If this Is true Its the last straw for me and my relationship with M$
With the latest Windows 8 build (8064) that has been delivered to Intel, it’s clear that the company is taking strides to make sure that its upcoming OS isn’t quit so easy to pirate. For starters, the generic volume license keys that were so easily exploited during the early days of Windows 7 leaks will no longer be an option for pirates. Product keys also won’t be shipped in the prodkey.txt file included in the build packages. Instead, installers will need to retrieve a unique key from a Microsoft web page.

All the story from here...http://www.extremetech.com/computing/93110-microsoft-heads-to-the-cloud-to-improve-windows-8-anti-piracy-defenses
PS No I'm not a pirate and have never been Into piracy, Just for the record.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Microsoft heads “To the Cloud!” to destroy Windows 8 piracy

I don't see the problem other than the bundled systems will need an extra licensing step which will annoy them somewhat but that really doesn't bother me
pierre_pierre
Grafter

must be why I got tthis, this morning
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2600.0000
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2600.0000
Message-ID: <E1QvIM4-000559-SO@inmx10.plus.net>
X-pn-pstn: Spam 1
X-PN-Virus-Filtered: by PlusNet MXCore (v5.00)
X-PN-Spam-Filtered: by PlusNet MXCore (v5.00)
Subject: [-SPAM-] OFFICIAL WINNING NOTIFICATION
Microsoft Corporation Sweepstakes Promotion,
Customer Service.
Your Winning Batch No: POK/LTY/2901
Your Winning Reference No: GFMS/600/3011

OFFICIAL WINNING NOTIFICATION.

We are pleased to inform you of the release of the long awaited results of Sweepstakes promotion organized by Microsoft Corporations, in conjunction with the FOUNDATION FOR THE  PROMOTION OF  SOFTWARE products, (F.P.S.) held this June 2011, in Madrid Spain. Where in your email address emerged as one of the online Winning emails in the 2nd category and therefore attracted a cash award of 350,000.00 euro (Three Hundred and Fifty Thousand Euros Only) and a Toshiba laptop. To begin your claim, do file for the release of your winning by contacting our Foreign Transfer Manager:

Mrs Marinove Romania
Tel: +357 963 17692
Fax: +357 25250362
Email: mcsprom0@live.com

The Microsoft Internet E-mail lottery Awards is sponsored by former CEO/Chairman, Bill Gates and a consortium of software promotion companies. The Intel Group, Toshiba, Dell Computers and other International Companies. The Microsoft internet E-mail draw is held periodically and is organized to encourage the use of the Internet and promote computer literacy worldwide.

Congratulations!!

Sincerely,

Mr. Paul  Noel ,
Promotions Manager.
(Group Co-ordinator)
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Good job you checked your SPAM folder, you might have missed out on that great prize. Grin
It's obviously official bacause it says it was sent using Microsoft Outlook Express. Crazy
p.s. Are you gonna share the cash with all your bestest buddies here on the PN forum? Cool
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Meet you in cyprus
Cyprus international country codes & city calling code
International Country Code for calling Cyprus

Cyprus country code: 357
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

It was only a matter of time until MS tried something like this.. They tried it years ago with WinXP until a few clever bods started circulating pirate editions of XP coporate OEM (same as pro but allows it to be used in large networks without phoning home - the idea being IT depts could install it on large numbers of machines with minimal hassle).
It won't take long for someone to find a hack around for Win8 protection. What worries me more is that we're talking about Windows 8 already and 7 has not long been out..  Shocked
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Windows 8 will be with us next year, Of course you don't have to buy windows 8, Windows 7 will be supported for quite a while, Personally I have gave up on Windows. Expensive, Target for viruses and a company who don't believe that you spent a couple hundred quid for their windows disc, Note the " Their " cos It sure as hell Isn't yours.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 17

You mean you still get a disc for your money? By eck... I thought they'd probably come up with something less expensive by now  Grin
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!