cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Sharepoint.

seanbranagh
Grafter

Microsoft Sharepoint.

I have just been made an interesting offer. A company in Belfast is migrating their outdated intranet to Sharepoint. They have an entire team of people working and updating all the content and design. Due to time constraints they are desperate and cannot find anyone to physically move the content to Sharepoint (Or at least from the details so far that is all that appears to need done). My name has been recomended and that is why I got the phonecall.
I have used Sharepoint briefly in a previous role but never worked with the content although I cannot imagine this to be very difficult. I do build websites and am quite competent with servers as I have my own homemade webserver hosting in my attic. The work would be over a six month period and flexable around my full time employment. The finincial reward is also very attractive.
I am being emailed with more information tomorrow and am currently reading about Sharepoint. Any thoughts?
3 REPLIES 3
samuria
Grafter

Re: Microsoft Sharepoint.

Wait and see the full specs these simple jobs end up being a nightmare as suddenly there is all sort involved in it. You will have a better idea with the full specs. Are you  a LTD company as some of these roles if they go wrong they can sue you if your a ltd company they cant touch your assets check this one out carefully 
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Sharepoint is relatively easy to get to grips with provided you have the time to fully read the documentation AND access to 'play' with it!  Setting up IIS can be a bit of a 'maze of twisty little passages' to get to work properly.  Setting up Sharepoint initially is also a bit cumbersome, and the documentation a lot confusing!  BUT!  Having got over the initial hurdles, there is a wealth of things that can be easily achieved using the standard templates or an increasing No. of third party templates.  e.g setting up a new internal Meeting organiser complete with Delegate mailing, separate bulletin board, Document folder, reminders etc  took me about 30 minutes a month ago - well pleased!
Access control for Users / Administrators can be directly linked to Active Directory, minimising the admin effort.  If you use the latest version (recommended) then links to Microsoft Office are a doddle to extend the functionality.
I'm with Samurai on the financials / liability issues though.  If you can resolve those to your satisfaction it is a good marketable skillset to add to your CV.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Not applicable

[me=James_G]goes to install sharepoint and have a look-see[/me]
I imagine its like most MS stuff though - fairly striaghtforward to use, only slightly more complex to manage/administrate.
If you have good guidance and tuition on the basics, I'd expect it to be straightforward.
Watch your back on the contractual stuff though - might even be worth seeing if they use any external support companies already - if so, you might be able to get added as a sub-contractor/self employed consultant to them, and let them take the risks.