cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Security Essentials delayed start

Not applicable

Microsoft Security Essentials delayed start

Anyone using MSE software? I reformatted jmdlp's second laptop last week (XP) and installed this. On bootup there was a red icon with a cross on it.
After a short while it sorts itself out, changes to green with the tick on it. 
I googled the problem extensively, changed some settings in Services but nothing worked.
Ended up changing to Avast. 
I have MSE on my spare laptop too (Vista) and exactly the same thing occurs so it is obviously something to do with the
software.  Security Centre was on Automatic (Delayed) start so changed it to Automatic but it still does it although admittedly it changes to green quite quickly.
I have left MSE on my computer as I quite like it and it is only a reserve laptop anyway.
I don't think that the computer is at risk as it changes very quickly and before I launch the browser but wondered if anyone else has seen this behaviour and if so, managed to solve it?
3 REPLIES 3
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Microsoft Security Essentials delayed start

It's pretty normal, most AV products take a considerable time to get fully up and running.
But most quickly put up an icon in the system tray so that you "think" they're 100% active.  Roll_eyes
Not applicable

Thank you for that HP. It is what I was thinking myself so nice to have it confirmed.
I will leave well alone now as the programme is running fine and the delay is quite minimal anyway - just a few seconds really.
KenA
Grafter

(late reply - I only read the forum every few days.
I've seen this regularly with Symantec Endpoint Protection and AVG as well.  Even newer faster PCs often exhibit this as well.