Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center

Last night while looking at start-up items I noticed Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center and on the basis that I don't use a Microsoft keyboard or mouse I uninstalled it.
Just prior to uninstalling it I ran it and it said it 'found no devices' as expected.
This morning I fired up my PC and read my emails. One of the emails I attempted to forward and was unable to type in a forwarding address.
I decided to check out the aforementioned application further but on opening my browser I was unable to type in the Google search box.
My wireless keyboard wasn't working so I tried a wired keyboard with the same problem.
I had to restart in safe mode, download the application from Microsoft to my desktop, restart my PC and run the install application from my desktop.
So it seems that Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center is needed for more than just Microsoft products....or else the removal of it took out more than I would have preferred.
I must stop messing. Embarrassed
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
3 REPLIES 3
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center

At a guess, I would think that a few other devices that perhaps derived from the Microsoft Keyboard and Mouse use the same drivers/software?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Generic drivers maybe.....I would have thought that plugging in a wired (USB) mouse would have installed a generic keyboard driver.
This is what Microsoft says it's for....
Mouse and Keyboard Center helps you personalize and customize how you work on your PC. Tailor your mouse and keyboard to meet your unique needs and work style. Modify your mouse and keyboard settings to make it easier to use the unique features of most PC apps. View and change basic and application-specific settings for all connected devices in one place. Explore features with pop-up descriptive and “how-to” InfoTips.

So I didn't think it was essential.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

It isn't essential but it probably supplanted your normal keyboard driver in such a way that you could not get rid of it.  The case may well be analogous to Colintivy and his stuck display problem in a nearby thread.