Microsoft Cancels Windows 7 Service Pack 2

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Microsoft Cancels Windows 7 Service Pack 2

Quote from: Un
It's patching mechanism is pretty poor.

Just wondering why you say that?
I actually find the W7 updates process quite quick, effective and relatively unobtrusive. And W8 is better still.
XP wasn't great and Vista seemed even worse.  Cry
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I wasn't comparing any two particular varieties of Windows.
As far as I can tell, XP and W7 are equally slow/poor - a minor (non-kernel) fix should take no more than a very small number of seconds.
And any patch is bound to be intrusive - I wouldn't patch/upgrade anything without keeping a close eye on it.
I've recently had to update a pile of patches to W7 on a netbook, so that I could say it's patched and that I won't be doing any more Windows patching.
It will be used as a dual boot PC almost exclusively with an alternative OS - so I won't be doing any Windows patches / virus updates ever again.  Grin Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Un
a minor (non-kernel) fix should take no more than a very small number of seconds.

Maybe, and who's to say it doesn't, but what about the housekeeping around it?
Windows automatically takes checkpoints for System Restore which I suspect comprises a significant part of the patch process.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Any fool can do an update routine that does the job quickly and doesn't automatically handle failures.
Writing the update routine so that (a) it can be rolled back easily and (b) if there is a failure at absolutely any point in the routine (including the PC losing power) the system is left in a consistent state and the update can be re-attempted obviously make it a lot more complicated.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
VileReynard
Hero

I would definitely agree with all that!
Which makes lumping the entire configuration (the registry) into one place all the more inexplicable.

Razer
Grafter

Quote from: Sprite
Yeah but imagine 12 of them when reinstalling your system  Roll_eyes

Only 12?
The times I've reinstalled (including SP3) I've had around 30 updates to do.
Quote from: ejs
... only run the most recent Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool etc.

I hate that I am repeatedly offered that thing, even after 'instructing' the update site not to offer it to me. Waste of time and bandwidth that never seems to do anything (I don't need it anyway).
VileReynard
Hero

That's because it's spyware - it won't remove any "malicious" software.
According to Wikipedia,
As released, the tool is configured to report anonymized data about infections to Microsoft if any are detected.[2] The reporting behavior is disclosed in the tool's EULA, and can be disabled if desired.[5]
In a June 2006 Microsoft report,[6] the company claimed that the tool had removed 16 million instances of malicious software from 5.7 million of 270 million total unique Windows computers since its release in January 2005. The report also stated that, on average, the tool removes malicious software from 1 in every 311 computers on which it runs. As of 19 May 2009 Microsoft claims that the software has removed password stealer threats from 859,842 machines.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Razer

Quote from: ejs
... only run the most recent Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool etc.

.... Waste of time and bandwidth that never seems to do anything (I don't need it anyway).

In my job fixing computers I have once witnessed Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool find and remove something.   
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: ReedRichards
In my job fixing computers I have once witnessed Microsoft's Malicious Software Removal Tool find and remove something.   

You are the chosen one!