cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microsoft Cancels Windows 7 Service Pack 2

Steve
Seasoned Pro

Microsoft Cancels Windows 7 Service Pack 2

Microsoft has no intention to release a new service pack for Windows 7, but the company will instead focus on smaller updates that will be rolled out every month.
According to The Register citing sources close to Microsoft’s sustained engineering team, there are no plans for Windows 7 SP2, which means that Windows 7 users will have to update their operating systems every month until support for this particular version is no longer offered.
While some rumours have pointed out that a potential Windows 7 Service Pack 2 should be released before the end of the year, Microsoft is apparently working on an entirely new strategy for its operating system.

Source
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
23 REPLIES 23
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Microsoft Cancels Windows 7 Service Pack 2

Quote from: Steve_M
which means that Windows 7 users will have to update their operating systems every month

Which they already do, I hope.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Well I do but I know some people who wait for the service packs.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Traditionally some people hold off buying the new Windows version until the first service pack is out.
Looks like a lot of people will be sticking to Windows 7!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

The major problem with this approach is that a new user purchasing a PC with Win7 SP1 already has a 'duff' product and must spend the first several hours downloading / installing / rebooting / More Patches........
IIRC the last time it was three reboots if you have Office 2010 as well Sad
I've taken to slipstreaming the patches to maintain a good working DVD version - but then I forget to take it with me.
M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BryanP
Grafter

Does this mean that Microsoft are now pushing windos 8?
MauriceC
Resting Legend

Quote from: BryanP
Does this mean that Microsoft are now pushing windos 8?

Probably Smiley  But many corporates will have limited take up until they recoup the cost of Migrating to Win7  -  it was a very slow start!    Lots of users still more than happy with XP and evaluating non Microsoft offerings for mobile devices.
M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Not half!
It's officially unveiled on Thursday.
That's when Microsoft nosedives...
Here is what the 1985 version looks like - not much progress after 27 years of bug fixing...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

colintivy
Rising Star

When Win 7 nosedives I will clean out my HD and revert to Linux. I expect quit a few private and commercial users will do the same. Win 8 ugh!
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: MauriceC
The major problem with this approach is that a new user purchasing a PC with Win7 SP1 already has a 'duff' product and must spend the first several hours downloading / installing / rebooting / More Patches........
Exactly my thoughts, I remember It well with XP Pro and dont want to go back there again.
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: MauriceC

And don't forget, if you have to reinstall the OS you have to do it all again.. and then reinstall your other software such as office, firefox, etc.
Thats why I don't bother with monthly updates because they take far too long to download and install and then its more hassle when reinstalling the OS. I've always gone by the service packs instead as they at least automate the process of installing multiple updates and patches.
As for XP Pro, I did the same thing - SP2 was installed and then that was it. My software went on. I never even bothered with SP3. To be fair, I think XP pro was a hell of a good OS for stability. 95 and 98 were carp, Me wasn't too bad but still gave the odd BSOD here and there but XP Pro crashed very rarely. My netbook uses XP home and I can hibernate that for months on end with no ill effects. I'd certainly prefer XP over Vista.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
ejs
Aspiring Hero

The monthly updates take less than 1 hour per month.
Edit: Also, you might have less chance of needing to reinstall your OS if you keep up with security updates.
7up
Community Veteran

Quote from: ejs
The monthly updates take less than 1 hour per month.

Yeah but imagine 12 of them when reinstalling your system  Roll_eyes
Quote from: ejs
Edit: Also, you might have less chance of needing to reinstall your OS if you keep up with security updates.

Doesn't do much for registry bloat, corruption etc caused by 3rd party software. Thats something that security updates can't deal with along with bad disk sectors, boot sectors etc.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Quote from: Sprite
Yeah but imagine 12 of them when reinstalling your system  Roll_eyes

Actually, if you let the updates pile up, then you will need to install fewer in total than if you installed them every month. This is because many of them will be the latest patch version of some component, incorporating all previous fixes. You will just install the latest cumulative update for Internet Explorer, only run the most recent Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool etc.
Quote from: Sprite
And don't forget, if you have to reinstall the OS you have to do it all again..

Well, you wouldn't be doing it again if you didn't bother to do it before the reinstall.  Tongue
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

It's patching mechanism is pretty poor.
You would have thought they could issue a patch to make patches install faster.  Grin Grin Grin

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."