cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microfilter and splitters!

sunworld

Microfilter and splitters!

Firstly, let me start off by saying that I am doing this on behalf of my Dad. He has just purchased his first ever PC and is trying to set up his router and broadband connection. I am trying to help him from this end, but when it comes to hardware and technical terms, I am pretty useless myself. Anyway, he has connected his router and everything seems fine. His problem seems to be coming from the fact that he has placed his filter before the splitter he has. He says he can't put the splitter first, because the splitter is in the socket downstairs, but his computer is upstairs. I have suggested an extension cable (again, not really knowing what I am talking about) and he has said that he wouldn't be able to use an extension cable. I know I haven't explained myself brilliantly, but any ideas??  Wink
7 REPLIES 7
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Microfilter and splitters!

A diagram or clearer explanation of what you've done, what is where and what options you have would help.
Personally I struggle to understand the problem at present. Undecided
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Would it be correct to assume that his computer and router are upstairs and that before getting the computer he had a telephone point upstairs as well as downstairs and that there was a splitter at the master socket which gave the two phone points.
If this is the case he should remove the filter from before the splitter and connect the upstairs wires to the splitter as before. But he should then add a filter between the splitter and the downstairs phone and another filter at the upstairs phone socket and connect the router and the upstairs phone (if he is using one) to it.
HPsauce
Pro

Personally I'd still prefer a diagram...
Anyway, important point, what sort of extension cable is in use (and what is being considered)?
A typical DIY plug-in "flat" telephone extension cable is about as bad as you can get for ADSL.
And if you do want BB working away from the master socket this is how I'd do it quickly, though it's not ideal....
Splitter in master socket - 2 phone leads out (one to phone, one to computer).
Lead 1 (phone) - filter plugged into splitter, phone/extension plugged into filter. Cannot be used for broadband.
Lead 2 (BB) - extension plugged into splitter, filter plugged into end of extension, router connected to filter (RJ45). Can also have phone in this filter.
BIG CAVEAT. This will give rubbish performance, like as not, but it will probably work.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Quote from: HPsauce
Personally I'd still prefer a diagram...
So would I but the fact that Dad is remote from son/daughter might make it difficult
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I take it reading carefully that Sunworlds dad has no eqipement down stairs?
if he has that should be filtered, the other upstairs line should have the filter there if he has a phone upstairs.  if no other phone, he doesnt need a splitter, just the filter and rj45 wire to the router from filter

just had to sort out a similar one for my referral.  It was put in by a PC Shop Teckie, Wont call him an engineer.
Very old time single socket, plugged into that was a splitter with hard wired lead from side of splitter, went to phone in kitchen.  One socket went to another downstairs phone via filter, other went upstairs to wall socket.  Filter there, one to Router and another phone.
Complained to me noise on hard wired phone - not filtered.   Had to go out and get another splitter straight into first socket, then the upstairs lead to one side, filter to other with the funny splitter and both down stairs phones. time about one minute, cost one splitter
The leads were all standard BT types, router straight into filter,  Running at 4mb and he is happy with that.  Was going to get rj45
sunworld

Oh, bless all of you for trying to answer me! I confused myself, so well done to those of you that had even an inkling of what I was talking about!!! Grin My Dad managed to sort it out himself by unplugging his phone downstairs : Cheesy But, thank you very much for the help!!!!
Now, can anyone suggest where he might buy some extra microfilters from? Do they need to be Thomson  ones?
HPsauce
Pro