cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Microfilter and splitter from main socket

akatakia

Microfilter and splitter from main socket

Hi all, I am just getting ready for my broadband go live date and I need some help...my router will be plugged into my main socket, however, I also have a house alarm which is plugged in, which rings my mobile if it is activated. I have no house phone plugged in. My question is what is the order of plug in....is it microfilter then splitter in the microfilter hole where it says 'phone' then plug the alarm phone line in OR is it splitter in main socket then microfilter in one line of splitter with the internet cable and the alarm phone in the other line of the splitter? So confused!
6 REPLIES 6
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Microfilter and splitter from main socket

Micro filter first in the Master Socket, the idea being that anything after that is filtered.

akatakia

Thank you Mustrum...do I then plug my alarm phone line into the part of the microfilter that says "phone" ?
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Yes. Although you also mentioned a splutter - is that for a phone and the Alarm?

If the Alarm has a [hone plug you are lucky, a friend called me to ask for some help, the Alarm fitter had wided the alarm directly into the master socket - once that was sorted their speed doubled.

akatakia

I was using a splitter previously, the splitter was first plugged into the main socket and one hole had the micro filter and the other had the alarm. So it sounds like I dont need the splitter if the phone line for the alarm goes into the microfilter!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi there,

I agree, you shouldn’t need a splitter as the alarm should be able to plug directly into the microfilter, assuming the cable from the alarm fits.

I think you’d just need the splitter if you have a home phone handset too as you’d then need a splitter to provide an additional phone socket/connection.

Hope this helps. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
akatakia

Thank you I will try this!