Did you mean: 

Micro usb part 2

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Micro usb part 2

Just come across this issue:

2016-04-26 14.55.27.jpg

That is the new plug (90 degree one) is shorter than the normal, the result is it will not fit in my phone. Cry

I am thinking about getting creative with a scalpel (done it before on a round plug that was too short to fit in the socket).

Anybody else come across this issue ?

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Micro usb part 2

I have but never given it much thought TBH, could this change in size be related to the USB type i.e. A, B, C?

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

At the risk of using very technical terminology (apologies if it's too technical Grin), it looks to me like the 'sticky-out bit' on the blue one is sticking out more than a standard normal one does (looking at any I have lying around, they all stick out a bit less than that one (but maybe a bit more than your black 90° one).

No, I don't have a vernier handy to measure one. Wink

http://hwbb.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/Interface/USB/DATASHEET/USB%20cable/uUSB_1%200%20(publication)_...

Apparently it should be 5.4mm

MicroUSB.png

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

@HairyMcbiker wrote:

Just come across this issue:

2016-04-26 14.55.27.jpg

That is the new plug (90 degree one) is shorter than the normal, the result is it will not fit in my phone. Cry

I am thinking about getting creative with a scalpel (done it before on a round plug that was too short to fit in the socket).

Anybody else come across this issue ?

Interesting.... I just looked at a couple of my connectors.... and yes... there is a difference in the length... however.. there is also a difference in the "cross section" size...   the one with the longer "tongue" is also "fatter" than the shorter one..

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Interesting

Apparently it should be 5.4mm

Checking with a steel rule, the short one is over 5mm so apparently the correct length, the longer one is ~8mm. So must be my phone breaking the rule with the socket too far inside the edge.

Just looked at the phone connector, it is recessed about 2mm inside the case.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

OK scalpel wouldn't hack it, but my trusty rotary tool did.
Took a bit much off, but it now works fine. Might try adding a small bit of hot glue to fix it up.
Anotherone
Champion

Ha, now very interesting that I should come across this. I bought one of those 90° ones a couple of weeks ago and it's a tidy fit to the two phones I need it to fit.

Unlike @w23 (thanks for the drawing and dimensions) I did get my micrometer out Tongue - only because he mentioned it, otherwise I'd have used a ruler Wink and it measures 5.5mm.
Now the power adapter and USB lead that came with my cheapo Samsung phone are in fact 5.4mm, and likewise the one that came with the cheapo LG phone.
The plug on the 90° lead I bought being visibly (with my glasses on) that tiny bit longer. I did a comparison with 2 other USB leads I've got, one was 7.5mm and the other was 8mm (the cheap £1 job).

Which phone is that you have HM? (note to self, don't buy one).

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

stick to buying the cheap stuff, they break more often but tend to work across more gear Tongue

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
HairyMcbiker
All Star

My new phone is a Homtom HT7 pro. web site

Android 5.1, 5.5",  2/16Gb, 4G dual sim.

Battery life is poor, but that is normal for a China phone.

Anotherone
Champion

@HairyMcbiker unfortunately the link is broken, not sure why I've a funny feeling when you are creating links you have to make sure the www is on the front (when needed) eg. there are sites that aren't www like this place, also have to be sure the http:// (or https://) is also there but it should prompt you for http but not sure about https.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

I used the include link button not hard coded it. So it needs a full url eh? OK will edit it.

It accepted the url I had put in homtom.cc, but now has the full url.

twocvbloke
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 3

That blue cable looks just like the cable I bought for my blue PS4 pad (I use it on my PC, got used to my white pad on my PS4 before I sold it so had to have another pad), the Micro-B end stopped working a week after I got the damned thing but the cable was too nice to throw out, so I just replaced the plug with some DIY solder-on plugs off ebay, oddly worked out cheaper than another new cable!! Grin

Fiddly as heck to solder though...

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Yeah I have a few spare plugs but they are so small I need a magnifying glass to see the contacts!