cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Metronet v ADSL4LESS - are prices going down?

Wiredcharlie

Metronet v ADSL4LESS - are prices going down?

I've noticed another Pay As You Go Broadband provider is looking a bit cheaper than Metronet.
Anyone see any problems with http://www.adsl4less.com/ or why Metronet is worth the extra?
Embarrassed  OOps just noticed - posted in the wrong forum!
4 REPLIES 4
James
Grafter

Re: Metronet v ADSL4LESS - are prices going down?

Hi Charlie,
That's a good question and I seem to recall having a look at them a while back when I first heard about them.  Information about them is very sparse.  Their "about us" page is extremely vague and there's no mention about them on http://thinkbroadband.com
Having said that though, PlusNet Broadband Your Way Option 1 is cheaper and offers free off peak usage Smiley
Firejack
Grafter

Personally I've always been willing to pay extra for a premium service and thats what you get with Plus.net and why I've been with them nearly 6 years now. I've had Sky/BeThere all contacting me for cheaper deals and faster speeds but I'd prefer to stay with Plus.net for peace of mind and I know they'll upgrade my service as soon as its possible for free anyway.
Before you can even think about speeds/price or anything else you need to know your connection is going to work. Reliability is the most important thing for me and Plus.net is awesome at providing a stable service. I never have to worry about my Broadband being down, it just works.
Now I don't think you could have the same faith in a company that uses txt-speak in its name as thats just not professional if you ask me. If I saved a couple of pounds a month switching to that company it wouldn't be worth the hassle of second guessing whether I was going to have the same reliability I have with Plus.net.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I agree with Firejack says in terms on the support, and you can't really have much better forums than these ones.
Well comparing their non-PAYG options (as I don't like PAYG). No mention in thinkbroadband though James is more likely to make me think it's a good thing Smiley
However, me being the cynical person I am, saw the word 'Unlimited' with no asterisk on their so called 'No Limits' Broadband which of course made me more suspicious. So I tried to find where the limits are actually stated. Tried the usual suspects, firstly the T&C's which are weird. They refer to the usage policy at one stage to
www.hotchilli.com (so I assume they must be somehow related) but later on back to their own site. Usage policy was common sense really with no limits mentioned.
So, did a search under the word 'fair' (always a good one, really it means 'the actual limits' of course) and found 'Fair Usage Policy' at the bottom, so I'm getting warmer anyway.
To ensure everyone gets a fair share of our High Performance we have implemented a 'Fair Use' policy with a 30GB per month Peak Time transfer allowance – this applies to data transferred between the hours of 8am and Midnight, seven days a week. Once the allowance is hit, users will still be able to connect – but limited to 64Kbps transfer rate. Any data transferred between Midnight and 8am does not count towards the Data Transfer Allowance.

I don't know BBYW that well, but I believe it's the same peak hours.
Also did a search for 'minimum' on the T&C's, as that's other classic hidden one and found it's 12 months. Another reason why I'd personally avoid them.
Don't know whether it's LLU or IPStream based, but it's £28 for 8Mbps with that cap, where a PlusNet product offers the same with 20Gb during the same periods for £20, or a 40Gb one for £30.
Unless I've misread the products (only done this quickly so may well have done). Funnily enough their registered office is about a 5 minute walk from where I work, maybe I'll have a look one lunchtime.
Anyway I think we all might be told off by a mod for comparing other ISP's in Community Support, so I'd better stop there Grin
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: Wiredcharlie
Embarrassed  OOps just noticed - posted in the wrong forum!

Moderators Note
Sorted  Wink
Jonathan
aka Chilly