Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Met office weather website will not load in IE11

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Met office weather website will not load in IE11

After years of frequent use with no problems, and with no recent modifications to my PC browser settings, the site below today refuses to load in IE11 (Win 7 64) - it part loads but then completely freezes the browser; the only way to unfreeze it appears to be by closing the tab by clicking its 'X' via the task bar icon. IE then works normally with other websites until I try to load the Met office page again.
I've tried everything I can think of (scanning with Malwarebytes, checking the site hasn't somehow been added to a blocked list, deleting any cookie appearing to relate to the site, loading via a Google search, rebooting the PC, but the behaviour persists.)
Site loads fine in Chrome, but I'm used to IE and never normally have any problems with it at all.
Any ideas please (and 'is it just me?'  :-\)
Site address:
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/
8 REPLIES 8
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Met office weather website will not load in IE11

Opens for me on IE11 (Windows 7 pro, 64 bit).
I can scroll around after loading the page from your link, I can also play the embedded forecast video all with no issues.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
JayG
Pro

Thanks for your reply w23 - there must be some sort of conflict that I'm not able to spot at the moment, possibly something to do with one of the tracking protection add-ons because I've changed nothing myself recently (the website still freezes my IE11 although I dare say I'm not missing a late January heatwave forecast!  ::))
JayG
Pro

I've got 3 tracking protection lists running as add-ons in IE11 - finally tracked down the culprit:
easylist.adblockplus.org tracking list
Have advised them via email.
Met office site now works fine (with no ads) running just the other two.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Thanks for reporting back, that might just help someone else.  Smiley
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
rk2009

Thanks for this
I have searched Google every day since 29/1 for a solution and here it was - in my case it was "easylist.adblockplus.org/privacy.tpl" that once removed allowed me to use met office website again
Your a star.
JayG
Pro

Obviously more than one list - full name and address of the one I had problems with:
Name: EasyPrivacy Tracking Protection List
Address: http://easylist-msie.adblockplus.org/easyprivacy.tpl
Nearly a week since I emailed them and so far no reply - temporarily enabling the same list still produces the same problem, so they don't seem to be in any hurry to sort it out. Will update thread if and when I find out that they have...
Frances28

Another thank you for this - it's been bugging me for days.
JayG
Pro

Glad to have been of assistance  Smiley - however I can report that the problem with the tracking list referred to in reply #6 now appears to have been fixed, although they have not actually confirmed that by replying to my email to that effect.  Roll_eyes
Think I'll leave it disabled - the two I'm using from abine.com seem to be doing a good job between them at the moment.