cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Messenger

Teds31
Grafter

Messenger

I have been having trouble with the computer running slow,and when I ran a scan with AVG there was 4 trogan horses,these were shown as MSN Messenger,when I looked in my Recycle Bin I had 1300 copies of "my Pictures" they were copies of copies of copies,,,, I have now managed to clear things up after a lot of work,but does anyone know if there is a problem with MSN Messenger and Viruses. Huh
8 REPLIES 8
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Messenger

its not necessarily MSN messenger that has the trojans, but messages with in, ther have been a lot of dubious e-mails recently with trojans as attachments
Teds31
Grafter

Thanks for the quick reply pierre,I see what you mean about it not being messenger, its just that AVG result showed 4 viruses that were linked in the results to Msn messenger,the result shows the following and I apologise for its length.
D:\System Volume informaion\_restore{9367FO8-06AA-4E7E-9F9C-O3658D428EF6}\AOO27898.EXE\MsnMsqs_msi    then  Trogan horseGeneric 11.AEC  then  infected
I took the part that says MsnMsqs_msi to be a referance to messenger.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

First thing is that file is in the restore system so cannot be disinfected. The odds are it is a false positive if it isn't flagged up in your main system but you could delete the restore points and start again or just tell AVG to ignore it
Teds31
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Jim,are you saying that I can just make another restore point in windows to get rid of this,also if it only shows up in D-partition then it can be ignored
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

To get rid of it you need to disable restore and then re-enable. Then manually create a restore point.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial56.html - ignore the ad at the top
Teds31
Grafter

Thanks again Jim,I have disabled and reenabled restore point and manually set a restore point I then ran another virus check and all is clear,I have checked restore and I have one new restore point as of now.Thanks for the help also pierre,great forum. TED
MickKi
Grafter

Malware which attach themselves on the system restore files typically require that you:
1. Disable System Restore
2. Boot into SafeMode
3. Run a full system scan with your anti-virus software
4. Re-boot normally
5. Re-enable system restore
Teds31
Grafter

Thanks everyone for the helpfull replies,following Jim and pierres replies and advice all seems to be OK,I have now done several full scans (taking 2hrs 50mins each) and all is well.